• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Galley Sink

Gary G

Member II
I have a 1983 E28+ and the galley sink looks terrible! I'd like to replace it with a brand new shiney one but can't seem to locate a supplier in the US. Any suggestions?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the SS sink is just dull and has some surface scratches, remove and take it to a polishing shop and have it buffed out. We have places like that in our city -- we are going to eventually have the sinks from both our house and boat polished. (Either back to a "brushed" surface or maybe to a mirror surface; have not decided yet.)
The shop owners I have talked to say that it's no big deal at all...

Loren

Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
Galley Sink Replacement

Can anyone recommend a good source for a sink replacement? The galley sink in my E381 is looking pretty bad and I find the divided sink leaves both sides too small to be of much use. I think I would like to go to a single sink.

I noticed Noproblemo in the For Sale Forum has what appears to be an acrylic sink. Anyone have any comments regarding galley sink selection and sources?

Bill

E381 Totem
Bradenton, FL

Emerald

If you don't mind going surplus, call Bacon Sails with dimensions in hand. They do just about anything boat, and generally have a variety of different sinks kicking around.

Check their website for a phone number, and they don't even begin to list what they have online:

http://www.baconsails.com/

WBurgner

Member III
Thanks David. We have a marine salvage business here that I should try. I was hoping to hear from others that may have advice on sink selection. As long as I am going to go to the trouble I owe it to myself to see if there is a better idea out there than used originally.

By the way, the battery switch that you sent me a few years back (from Bacon) is still going strong.

Bill

Emerald

Hi Bill,

I've got to be honest that I had forgotten about the battery switch. Way cool to hear it has served you well. I always hesitate to make a recommendation about stuff like this, as there is always someone who disagrees on some expert level.

If you decide to call Bacon's, ask for Walt, make the connection to me, and just think out loud on your current configuration and what you think you might want to do. You'll get some honest feedback, if nothing else.

Feel free to hit me back channel to inspect something at their store if you think they have something that fits- they can put things on hold for 10 or so days, and I can run over and check it out - I'm there weekly it seems :egrin:

noproblemo2

Member III
Actually, in No Problemo we installed a Swanstone sink that took very minimal adjustments and comes with a lifetime warranty, 4 years now and is holding up VERY well. Good Luck in your decision.

I'm looking for a replacement galley sink for my 32-200. Sink dimensions are 14.5" deep x 23" wide x 8" bowl. Drop in flange mounted sinks seem to be a rare comodity. Most seem to be undermounts now. Has anyone found such a line of sinks. I'm out of options... looked everywhere. Nothing quite fits. The first mate is getting impatient.

Tom :esad:

Maine Sail

Member III
I'm looking for a replacement galley sink for my 32-200. Sink dimensions are 14.5" deep x 23" wide x 8" bowl. Drop in flange mounted sinks seem to be a rare comodity. Most seem to be undermounts now. Has anyone found such a line of sinks. I'm out of options... looked everywhere. Nothing quite fits. The first mate is getting impatient.

Tom :esad:

Why a replacement? What's wrong with the one that's there?

If it's the studs or clips are broken off have new ones welded on. Both Tim R. (35-3) and I have done this but for different reasons (he up-sized his sink)..

There are new sinks available, and there are many manufacturers, including Elkay, but they won't be cheap.

My welder welded four 1/4 X 20 stainless machine screws to my sink for $20.00! It actually looks better than new seeing as I polished it up, while I had it out, and put a solid cast & chromed brass strainer basket in while I was at it..

Weld sink studs $20.00
New "Bar" faucet (American Standard) $44.00
Cast Brass strainer basket $29.00

Old studs were steel and corroded away at the four corners:
97098323.jpg

New stainless studs:
97098324.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/method/Shopping_sinks.htm

Since Ericson used a couple of spendy pull-out faucets from this supplier, I kinda thought that the sink might be from them, also. I just measured the depth of our double sinks and they are 8".
Is that deep enough?
:confused:

It might be time to consult one of the big plumbing houses in your area, if indeed you really need a totally new sink.

As noted above, a good stainless shop can refurb, polish, and reweld stuff on these things.

Loren

Last edited:
32-200 sink

Its not that the studs have failed or anything like that. The 1st mate doesn't like the rust and pitting in the current sink. Thus, it's gotta go. Maybe refurb is an option. Thanks for the help.

Tom
Ambrevena
E32-200
Boothbay Hbr, Me.

Maine Sail

Member III
Its not that the studs have failed or anything like that. The 1st mate doesn't like the rust and pitting in the current sink. Thus, it's gotta go. Maybe refurb is an option. Thanks for the help.

Tom
Ambrevena
E32-200
Boothbay Hbr, Me.

That can be buffed and polished out.. Easily!! Try Flitz... Stainless is very durable and my sink also had some rust spots and they are gone now..

Unless you have money to burn try polishing it first. If that doesn't work take it to a shop that does metal polishing.. Usually a little elbow grease is better than green backs..

Last edited:

jkm

Member III
I had to replace the studs on my sink a few years back. Had the metal shop buff it up and it looks better than the new ones. heavier gauge too!

MAINE SAIL, I see that that you list Broad Cove-you mean the one behind St Bart's?

John

Maine Sail

Member III
I had to replace the studs on my sink a few years back. Had the metal shop buff it up and it looks better than the new ones. heavier gauge too!

MAINE SAIL, I see that that you list Broad Cove-you mean the one behind St Bart's?

John

No it's the one out my front door here in Maine North of Portland..

jkm

Member III
I wasn't aware of a Broad Cove on the Foreside!

We from Cape Elizabeth are a little provincial.

John

Maine Sail

Member III
I wasn't aware of a Broad Cove on the Foreside!

We from Cape Elizabeth are a little provincial.

John

Sure is.. It's between Princes Point in Yarmouth and Cumberland Foreside.. or just, "Cumberland", as we call it. Being less provincial we drop the Foreside part..

jkm

Member III
MaineSail

One last question.

I've been trying to remember the name of the ledge off the northwest corner of Clapboard.

Do you know it's name?

John

Maine Sail

Member III
MaineSail

One last question.

I've been trying to remember the name of the ledge off the northwest corner of Clapboard.

Do you know it's name?

John

Do you mean Sturdivant Ledge. The one just off (about 30 yards) the NW tip of Clapboard is not a named ledge..

jkm

Member III
That's it.

Used to have a big white wood sign on it. Ran aground in a Turnabout when I was eight on that ledge.

Many Thanks!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for this thread

I have just pulled my galley sink (Ziegler Harris 22 x 16.5, 9" deep) and what a pain it was to remove. It is rusty, and so is the head sink. I will try the Flitz and go from there. I was just going to replace them. I would like to get longer screws on the attach points so I can get at them easier. In addition to being hidden, two different hex head sizes were used. The head sink doesn't look nearly so difficult.

I have found a new sink that could work for in the Fisheries Supply (Seattle) catalog. Scandvik and Sterling Polar are the manufacturers that Fisheries carries, if you decide to go new. The Sterling Polar I was looking at was about $380 retail. The Fisheries site has the list and retail prices - they'll make you cry for the Flitz. Good luck.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/online/default.asp/cookietest/1

Last edited: