• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What is this? (part one) - Thru-hull

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
The fitting in the picture was removed from the intake side of the raw water strainer, It was mounted on top of the raw water thru-hull valve. It seems to be a safety device, but I don't understand the exact function, how to activate it, and why it is safetied the way it is. The last time I looked at one in a catalog, the description wasn't helpful.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSC02618.jpg
    DSC02618.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 59

Guy Stevens

Emergency bilge pump fitting

The idea behind this is that if you need to you can use the engine raw water cooling pump to become an emergency bilge pump. The reality is that all you tend to do is suck debris into the engine and it dies in the middle of the emergency.

I have seen some people use them to flush the engine with fresh water after each use. It seems to work better for that.

Guy
:)

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Ok, so that is a half-twist type plug that is safetied so it doesn't get lost? I will have to exercise it and decide whether to re-use it. Although it seems like a great way to get water inside the boat if you use it for flushing. Unless there is a fitting that can screw into it there.

The PO has a number of misc hose fittings in the spares kit. He used to lay the boat up on the hard every winter and he would drain everything and probably put in anti-freeze or blow the lines dry.

Thanks, Guy.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks, Loren.

Here it is separated. I was turning it too far at first and the plug wouldn't come out. It was a pretty stiff pull anyway, so it needs lubrication. I didn't try too hard while it was installed because I didn't want to start a chain reaction event that resulted in a near sinking or stranding us with no engine (note to self from 2004 mini-moon cruise). Gotta keep the batteries charged to keep the beer cold.

I think I will leave it out of the circuit this time around.

Attachments

• RawWaterFlushFitting02.jpg
    RawWaterFlushFitting02.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 53