• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dinghy Motor Fuel Container

lbertran

Member III
Hello, All-
We just bought a brand new Honda 2hp for the dink and I want to be real good to it. My question is, I have a fuel jug that I've used in the past for the old 2 stroke outboard so it held a fuel/oil mix. I like this fuel container because it doesn't use the newer, supposedly environmentally safer pressure spout that winds up spilling fuel all over the place. If I get rid of the fuel/oil mix (another tough question), and swish around some pure gasoline in the container, will it be clean enough for me to use for the straight up gasoline for the Honda motor? I don't know how tenacious that 2 cycle oil is in hanging on to the walls of the fuel container and going on to contaminate the Honda fuel. Thanks!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I think it would be fine to empty the container, swish pure gasoline around in it to further clean out the 2 cycle oil, and then use it for the Honda. The 2 cycle oil isn't that tenacious. Besides, Honda engines are tough! Just my opinion....
Frank.

sleather

Sustaining Member
A "tiny" amount of 2 cycle oil wouldn't be the end of the world during break-in anyway. If your happy w/ the tank GO FOR IT. The important thing is that the filler spout works well w/o resorting to a funnel.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
A simple rinse of the container with a few ounces of fresh gas will do. The rinse gas and extra mixed gas can be added to your lawnmower in reasonable quantities and used up. Alternatively the mixed gas can be burned up in any older diesel vehicle like old Mercedes diesels. They can burn a couple of gallons of gasoline mixed in a full tank with no harm. RT

lbertran

Member III
Thanks, Rob-

I've been wondering what to do with the mixed gas. I've got a couple of thirsty lawn mowers and LOTS of grass to cut.

Maine Sail

Member III
I've been wondering what to do with the mixed gas. I've got a couple of thirsty lawn mowers and LOTS of grass to cut.

Mixed gas can be run in any number of four stroke things including your Honda outboard with NO harm.

I run it in my Honda mower & Honda powered pressure washer when all I have is a can of boat gas. I've done this for years, with no ill effects, and have never once needed to even clean a carb. Heck, I just filled my lawnmower three days ago with last years 50:1 and it was bone dry so it's running on straight 50:1. It doesn't even smoke like you might think it would. There's nothing wrong with a little "extra" lubrication.

P.S. My Honda mower is going on five years old and has never even required a plug change. The oil has only been changed once and it's still clean.. Perhaps the two stroke oil helps??

sleather

Sustaining Member
Smokers

Mixed gas can be run in any number of four stroke things including your Honda outboard with NO harm.

I run it in my Honda mower & Honda powered pressure washer when all I have is a can of boat gas. I've done this for years, with no ill effects, and have never once needed to even clean a carb. Heck, I just filled my lawnmower three days ago with last years 50:1 and it was bone dry so it's running on straight 50:1. It doesn't even smoke like you might think it would. There's nothing wrong with a little "extra" lubrication.

P.S. My Honda mower is going on five years old and has never even required a plug change. The oil has only been changed once and it's still clean.. Perhaps the two stroke oil helps??

Although it's hard to argue w/ the voice of experience;). I'd be more inclined to use a 50:50 mix of your old pre-mix and some new gas. I'd be inclined to believe that 4 strokes would incur "some" negative results from straight 50:1, like carboned valves and rings, yet another Internet opinion.:rolleyes:

Another solution is to just do-it-at-the-pump. Wait till your car is down to 1/4 tank, empty your "jug", fill and rinse the "jug", empty again and fill the remainder of your tank and the "jug" w/ straight gas. You didn't mention the volume of the "jug", I'm assuming 2 1/2 gal. That would be "very" diluted w/ a fill-up.

Long ago the premix was like 25:1 and those were the "smokers". My 2000 2 stroke outboard is 50:1 and doesn't smoke at all........well hardly;)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My only issue with putting premix in a car is that there is so much sensitive electronics, catalytic converters, etc. on modern vehicles that you risk screwing something up that may be quite expensive. For now, power equipment is still pretty basic and will drink almost any gas. I too have run plenty of premix in my power equipment with no issues. Modern two cycle oil is ashless, smokeless, etc. and designed to burn cleanly. Running it in 4cycle lawnmowers, etc. seems to work just fine. I dump it in my old Mercedes diesel or my diesel work truck too but not in my wifes new TDI.... RT

lbertran

Member III
Auto Mechanic Advice

My mechanic advised against using the fuel/oil mix in my Ford Escape. So I think I'll be using it up in the mowers. With all the rain we've been getting, it won't take long to use it up mowing the grass!