• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Engineering question (speed of water ingress)

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
We have the same plan at my marina, but a short tale... My wife and daughter went up to the harbor facilities at 10:15, passing the boat moored along side mine. They came back at 10:25 and noticed that the forty foot cabin cruiser was sitting about a foot low. At 10:30 I had the yard maintenance guy up and alert. At 10:35 we were back at the slip armed with a half dozen serious pumps, and no longer had anything but the fly bridge above water! The hole...1 1/2" open thru hull. No happy ending here Just sober learning that the water comes in FAST!!!:esad: So nothing beats a good maintenance check on a frequent basis, much closer to every week than every season!

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Closing all seacocks

Here in the NW, between October and June, I leave the cockpit drain seacocks open. Actually, I leave them open all year 'round. The two thru-hulls aft are above the waterline, so the valves there are never closed except when I exercise them. The third one under the sink, I also leave open. Since the boat has been on the hard this past week, with the under-sink drain hose disconnected, I discovered that a couple days of light rain will fill that hose. So, I sucked it out with the shop vac to keep from wetting down the work area.

I have not thought, until now, about whether the aft drains on my E38 would keep the cockpit dry by themselves - so I will take a look at the routing and height of the hoses compared to the cockpit floor. I do have a data point from this past week. With the aforementioned disconnected hose end secured above the cockpit floor in the locker, the RH (aft) corner of the cockpit has standing water in it, until applying the shop vac. I will have to investigate my cockpit drain configuration, now that blankets are getting wet and boats are suddenly sinking at their moorings. :esad:

I cannot recall any cockpit flooding on this boat due to excessive heel angle, as described and discussed in other threads.

P.S. The boat normally sits in the water with a 1.5 deg. port list, so the port cockpit drain drains the cockpit when the boat is at rest. I have no idea where that water comes out, but I bet it's under the sink. In the yard the boat is 'leveled' with a 1 deg. starboard list.

Bonus question: What is the best way to remove a marine grade, double helix wire reinforced hose from a hose barb without damaging the barb? I'm talking about a 1.5 inch exhaust-grade black hose. I gave up tugging on it under the sink and cut it with a hacksaw blade and a pair of diagonal cutters. Now that it's out in the open I haven't had time to try to separate either end, one plastic and one bronze.

Cheers,

e38 owner

Member III
Cockpit Drains

When the weather is below freezing over the winter I leave the cockpit drains above the water line open. I shop vac the cockpit drains that are below the waterline, add liitle antifreeze, and plug the top of the cockpit drains so that any water that accumulates in the cockpit goes down the center drains.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Apparently my drains are plumbed properly. So, I could close the undersink cockpit drain and not have problems.