• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Atomic 4 Replacement

mingamells

I spend way too much time keeping the bomb running. Has anyone replaced the A4 with a diesel in a E29? If so, what engine fits in the tiny engine compartment?

Thanks in advance
Matt

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Have you used Don Moyer's website, parts, and forums at moyermarine.com?

Have you maintained a diesel before? (They don't quite run themselves.)

You're $4k frustrated with that A4? (The difference between the worst-case scenario, a total A4 rebuild, and a diesel repowering).

Just asking. If your answers are yes to all three then you are well-qualified to make the statement "spending too much time on the A4," and, since everyone knows that time = money, you are also spending too much money on the A4.

(My answers are yes, yes, and hell no--to me the only problem with the A4 is the relatively short range of gas engines vs. diesel, but I haven't tested that limit in years.)

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Wow, that's what, about a 10hp electric motor, right? (150A x 48 V = 7200W / 750 watts/hp = 9.6 hp)

What kind of range can you get?

nestor

a4 replacement

I am in the process of installing my new beta marine 14.5 hp in a e27, I replaced the cutlass bearing, shaft packing gland to the dripless. to a one inch diameter. So far the most difficult task has been removing the fuel tank, to do a retro fit to diesel, ( the required return line) still working on that, look like they built the boat around the tank, (squire hole round peg situation). I had to be very careful when removing the old cutlass bearing with out damaging the strut, used a saws-all very slow and tedious. As for the Beta engine fits nicely only the motor mounts are to short, I chose to mount two oak 1/1/2 stringrs onto the existing ones to better line the engine to the shaft, All in all not as bad as I expected. by the way the folks at beta Marine have been great with support. Good luck

mingamells

A4 Replacement

Is there a need to change the propellor shaft size and packing gland size, when switching to a diesel? Can the original engine instruments be re-used? Obviuously, I'm trying to reduce costs.

Thanks, Matt

chaco

Member III
Go Beta BD 722 20HP

Installed the Beta BD 902 25HP Atomic 4 Replacement in the E35II :nerd:
Would recommend the BD 722 20HP for the E29. The engine mounts match
the A4 footprint. Talk to Stanley / BetaMarine NC @ 800.682.8003 -
www.betamarinenc.com. You can buy TAXFREE out of North Carolina :)

Sorry... the A4 Gas Engine needs to GO :egrin: :egrin:

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
As for fitting a diesel into the space where the Atomic 4 is -- every photo I have seen so far shows the engine cover raised by a couple of inches to accomodate the extra height of the diesel.

--Paul

Cory B

Sustaining Member
If you decide on a "drop in" replacement for the a4, take a careful look at your engine mounts/stringers. On a lot of boats the mounts were strong enough for the smoother running and low torque A4, but are questionable and will need rebuilding/reinforceing for higher torque diesels.

If you are going to have to rebuild the mounts anyway, you may as well expand your search beyond the "drop in" replacements.

When our old A4 starting acting up, we rebuilt it. Cheaper than a diesel and it already fit the space, and nearly as reliable once rebuilt. If we were going to cruise far afield with it I would've considered a diesel for its increased range and torque.

Best things about an A4 is that you never have to bleed them, and you don't have to worry nearly as much if your fuel isn't sparkly clean.

Last edited: