• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit Drains E35-3

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Hello all of you E35-3 and big brother E38'?.....

I remembered searching a thread "Aft cockpit drainage/backing up" started by Gareth Harris......

I finally decided to check and see if my drains were crossed as per the instruction manuel......and they are.....SO......I find that Cory Bolton has the same problem that I do.....water coming over your shoes....but even more distressing that when heeled over on the starboard side, the water gets up to the engine instrument panel.....a bit scary....and could be a major problem, in addition to becoming expensive......

In checking the West Marine catalog, 2008, page 527 I have found a couple of scuppers that are Floating ball valves that should keep the water from backing up....

Has anyone used any of these??????

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.....

Also....take a look at www.thmarine.com......

The Perko on the page looks good....but at $177.00 it ought to....

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!:confused:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Mort-

Fortunately for us we have not seen the water reach the engine panel. One thing I've been meaning to examine but haven't is the hose runs to those scuppers, and see if I can do anything with them to mitigate the problem, but since we're not going "offshore" this summer it hasn't been a priority.

Also, for a variety of reasons, we've tried not to store anything heavy in the aft lazarette. Might make a difference.

Last edited:

Steve

Member III
Sea Cocks

Never tried the floating ball scupper, it sounds promising. On our boat, your problem described occurs ever so often, more so in a following sea or simply beating very hard over.

Both our above water-line drains have seacocks at the stern through-hull. I can remember shutting them a few times, however when it's hot out, that old cold water on the feet feels mighty nice! It's clear why Ericson installed the two below water-line drains on the cockpit outboard sides. My suggestion would be, if you can shut the above water-line drains off, do so when conditions warrant.

Well the weather is crap today in the northern NE so why not catch up with you all ..

Steve
35-3 #159

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Steve,

We have a piece of your boat! The underside of the panel for the hidden little cubby just forward of the galley behind the sette is marked #159. And we're not giving it back! :)

Steve

Member III
Holy Cow -you found it!

Been looking for that piece... Now I wonder who's I have? Your boat must have been made at the same time?

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Steve,
We were four hulls later. They were probably doing the cabinetry for our boats at the same time. I'll have to get a picture of it.

Mort,
Sorry for hijacking your thread... I don't know much about those scupper/ball things, I'd like to hear from someone whos used them on something bigger than a dinghy. My concern would be that they might limit drainage too much if you got pooped.

Edit: Most boring picture ever uploaded to EYO

Attachments

• Hull159-small2.JPG
    Hull159-small2.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Steve

Member III
Thanks

Hey fellow hijacker.. now I'm going to take a look at ours and see if it's marked...

Steve #159

Steve

Member III
Cory-ours was blank

I checked my panel and it was blank on the back, Perhaps the carpenter made two because he misplaced or had a senior moment, anyways one got marked and the other didn't. Or the other possible scenario was it came through missing and EY sent one to the dealer at the time or delivery. Fun to ponder anyways!

I have seen many other things marked on the back

Steve

Glyn Judson

Blank panel, extra panel.

Steve & all, Several years after getting our E31 and routinging propane hoses, I had occasion to stick my head in the food locker above the ice box and stove. Lo and behold, instead of two teak veneered plywood doors on the extra long double track, there was a third one waaay aft of the other two. It showed signs of having never seen use or the light of day and I can only guess that a worker at the factory slid one in on, let's say a Friday afternoon intending to get the second one but by Monday, had forgotten about the now hidden one and slipped two more in after it, something I'd have easily done myself. I love little touches like that, they remind me that real humans put our boats together. I once found a rusty pair of ViseGrips just inside a winch access door in the quarter berth of our former E25+. I'm almost certain that they had been left there by a worker at the factory. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Thru-hull height?

Mort,
We were climbing around the aft Laz taking care of a few things yesterday. I looked especially hard at the criss-crossed drainage hoses. I'm begginning to think now that the water we sometimes get in the cockpit when heeled is not coming directly from the outside. In our case at least, the thruhulls stick up a long way, then there is a slight dip in the hose as goes across to the scupper. I'm wondering if the water we are seeing backflowing into the cockpit is actually from the low part of the hose? If so, I think the best solution is to change the thru-hull to a lower profile, so that there is a nicer slope from the scupper to the thruhull. In our boat,the thruhull consists of a 45 deg bronze fitting, a massive forespar valve, and a nylon barb fitting. Since its probably not a good idea to mix plastic and metal fittings anyway (why did Ericson do this?), I'm thinking of replacing the plastic pieces with much lower profile bronze pieces someday.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Cockpit Drains

Cory:

Just a thought....BUT.....the amount of water that I am getting is more than can be in the hoses from rainwater, or washdown.......I am guessing.....as right now I am in Illinois for the summer and the boat is in Florida....BUT....I would guess that each hose could only hold about 2 quarts of water in the low end, and I am getting considerably more in the cockpit when heeled.....as I said before....my fear is it getting above the engine control panel.....I am going to do a bit more research on the ball float fittings....I think that is the ultimate soloution for me.....

Thanks for keeping me in mind....

Regards

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Ball/ check cockpit scuppers

I've picked up a couple of these Perko fittings with the intent of adding them forward in the cockpit and routed to two separate new 1-1/2" seacocks/ thruhulls. Thinking in terms of the E-31 Hot-tub sized cockpit full of water from a poop.
One little disadvantage I can see with using these Perko scupper drains aft in the cockpit is that they will actually make your drainage angle worse. They're about 3" deep which will lower the inlet end of the hose.
In the E-31 the two outboard drains actually have a collection box beneath the cockpit floor meaning removal/ replacement would be a chore.
And a word of caution on those OEM marlon/ forespar valves. I just replaced all the aft scupper drain hoses (boiling water dip and all) and had the experience of one of those valves failing open. I went to test my hose installation, to close valves and fill the lines from above to check for leaks. One valve turned without much effort, the second one took more strain and then the handle/ lever sheared right off. Fortunately this happened on the "hard". Looked thru the bore once the valve was removed and the ball was 1/2 open with no blockage to cause the failure.
The old hose I removed I thought was a shade overlength causing it to droop and hold water. I would suspect with crossed hoses the flooding would be happening with a big following sea. (and maybe too much movable ballast congregated in the cockpit)