• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Vallejo race anyone? Who's going?

FullTilt E28

Member III
Ok so Amani our Ericson 28 will be doing the Vallejo race next weekend but the wifes single gal pals have all been booked so looking like our chances of making front page in latitude 38 with an E28 isn't happening this year.

But we are still going! Wife and I along with my Mom who's been bit by the sailing bug and our hard core crew Red Doberman named Punim.

We'll be flying our cruising Asym with sock assuming the wind blows the correct way this year. Down wind!

Hope to give the Tartan 30 guys a good run for their money seems we rate 189 with our fixed three blade prop.

Anyone else going?

sharkbait

I'll be here waiting for you.Swing by my slip(I-49) and I'll toss you a beer.
You might want leave early.It tends to run out quick.

FullTilt E28

Member III
OK so we did the Vallejo

We don't have the new Garhauler gear yet and the old traveler and main sheet system was a major pain.

We did however fly the asym kite from Southhampton Shoal to the Vallejo channel. Wing and wing through the brothers which works quite well as long as the water is resonably smooth. We saw 6.8 knots at point Panole smoking along with the rail in the water we didn't round up once on the down wind leg.

We were the last boat to make it to the Vallejo YC dock 1 - the mud stopped any farther progess so we called it a day and tied up to a couple of big boats right infront of the club.

The 189PHRF rating doesn't appear to even close to the right rating. We were going toe to toe with boats right around 201 on the race down to Vallejo.

Sunday we were doing OK till our old travler sucked a cleat as we started to get into the long slog/groove up san pablo bay. I managed to do a temporary fix add a reef and we started to settle back into the groove when our top jib shackle blew out. I rescued the jib packed that away tried to sail under main but that wasn't happening.

(Note before we left we had over a half a tank of fuel which is what I had figured we should have based on the last fill up) But after I fired up the iorn genny the fuel guage was on E! HA! - so we sailed back to the Vallejo fuel dock which confirmed we did have about a half tank - though we topped off and motored back to RYC. Seems the mid day start was the worst of it as our motor home was quite resonable and not as windy and rough as the earlier slog.

So next weeked I continue to go through the rest of the stuff I hadn't placed on the priority list etc. Not entirely sure what happend with the jib though it appears the shackle at the top blew out given the furler hoist didn't come down with the jib.

Nothing like a good adventure! We short tacked the exit of the Vallejo channel quite well dispite the left over flood and very crowded effort.

Had a great time at the party etc.

The new traveler and main sheet system can't come soon enough!
Have good week!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Congrats!

Nice work..Going DDW wing and wing with the A-kite on this boat is probably reasonable provided you have more than about 12-15 knots TWS and fairly flat water. In lighter air you will have much better VMG by picking good gybing angles, and gybing on the shifts, which leads me to the point:

It is pretty hard to discern between 12 seconds per mile-meaning I can't imagine very many folks could tell if their rating is right within 18-20 seconds per mile-especially with cruising boats..The reason is that missing one shift on a 10 mile race could cost a could of minutes, and things like carrying too much fuel, or carrying too much weight in the ends can easily impact the rating by 6-12 or even 18 seconds per mile. Was everyone on the rail and at the widest part of the boat going upwind?

My thinking is that 189 is not far off, but until you sort these issues out I would focus on keeping the boat as light as possible-especially in the ends, hitting the shifts, and keeping the boat on its' feet going upwind so you cantake advantage of the sails to maximum effect..

If you have done all of this, you may have a point (I'm not making any assumptions, just general things to consider), but we can explore all of this if you like!

Either way, beautiful shots of the boat, nice form, and great job!

S

FullTilt E28

Member III
Nice work..Going DDW wing and wing with the A-kite on this boat is probably reasonable provided you have more than about 12-15 knots TWS and fairly flat water. In lighter air you will have much better VMG by picking good gybing angles, and gybing on the shifts, which leads me to the point:

It is pretty hard to discern between 12 seconds per mile-meaning I can't imagine very many folks could tell if their rating is right within 18-20 seconds per mile-especially with cruising boats..The reason is that missing one shift on a 10 mile race could cost a could of minutes, and things like carrying too much fuel, or carrying too much weight in the ends can easily impact the rating by 6-12 or even 18 seconds per mile. Was everyone on the rail and at the widest part of the boat going upwind?

My thinking is that 189 is not far off, but until you sort these issues out I would focus on keeping the boat as light as possible-especially in the ends, hitting the shifts, and keeping the boat on its' feet going upwind so you cantake advantage of the sails to maximum effect..

If you have done all of this, you may have a point (I'm not making any assumptions, just general things to consider), but we can explore all of this if you like!

Either way, beautiful shots of the boat, nice form, and great job!
S​

That was the last time we raced the E28 we just have too much crap on board to use it as a racer. Great cruiser though!