• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Auxillary Engine for E32

Gene Allison

I have a 1971 E32 I brought from auction. The Atomic 4 is seized and I'm considering replacing with deisel. Until then and to start sailing, I'm considering using an auxillary engine, i.e outboard, for the summer. What size motor should I be looking for and any other thoughts towards accomplishing this task?

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
whats the weight and distance from where it will be mounted,
to the waterline?

I have a 1971 E32 I brought from auction. The Atomic 4 is seized and I'm considering replacing with deisel. Until then and to start sailing, I'm considering using an auxillary engine, i.e outboard, for the summer. What size motor should I be looking for and any other thoughts towards accomplishing this task?

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Before you give up on the Atomic Four, look at Don Moyer's site -- moyermarine.com. You'll pay a lot of money to repower with a diesel. You can rebuild that A4 almost no matter what for less than $4k.

I wouldn't consider less than a 9hp engine to propel an Ericson 32. Acquiring a long-shaft 9hp and securely mounting that on the transom is going to be a fair amount of effort...and the transom was never designed to accommodate an outboard.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Outboard

Gene- A 15 hp outboard should work just fine in motoring your boat. As with any outboard be careful with "hobby-horseing" in large waves. This will work fine getting you in and out of your harbor. If you need to motor out in the wide open sea it will most likely be related to little or no waves.

sleather

Sustaining Member
O B's

Gene, IMHO your money's better spent addressing your current issue. Unless you have access to a "free" outboard by the time your through mounting an expensive bracket($300+) and reinforcing the transom you'll be looking at ~$3K and you may not find a motor w/ a long enough shaft. A 15hp outboard is ~120# and requires a good mount.

Take it from someone who's been burdened w/ outboard power for 22+ years, It's not a pretty sight!:rolleyes_d: and hard to do correctly from scratch(I've gone thru 2 mounts w/ upgrades).

Is there any possibility of getting your boat "on a mooring"? I sailed my Cal 21 for 5 years w/ NO engine. Just like the "old days".

Gene Allison

When I got the boat, an auxillary mount was installed on the transom. It is bent and can be straightened. I will look for info to determine its rating. Because of this, it leads me to believe the A4 is bad. However, it seems to be best to go through the engine and see what is required to get it running. The outboard idea is to be able to use the boat sooner. I'll reply later with what I ascertain. Thanks for all the feedback.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Pics would be good!

Gene, If you can get some pictures of the mount. It would really help to understand your situation. If you have a problem posting the pics, we can help.

Gene Allison

Steve, I was able to determine the mount model. It is a Garelick stationary mount #71075. It is mounted to the center of the transom with the brackets straddling the exhaust fitting. The top of the mount is 22 to 23 inches above the waterline. It is rated for up to a 15 horsepower motor and a weight of 75 lbs. I think I can figure how to insert images using the insert image icon. I'm sure this will be handy as I began to restore this boat. Thanks for your help.