• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25 Damaged Luff Track

Eslovett

SV Dulcinea
:esad:I had a tree fall on my E25 while it was on the trailor in the driveway. The mast took the brunt of the impact. As you can see from the pictures the mast luff track was damaged. I live in East Tennessee where the number of trusted experienced folks to repair this type of damage is limited. Any ideas in the best way of repairing this type of damage.

Attachments

• DSC00702.JPG
    DSC00702.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00700.jpg
    DSC00700.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 53

sleather

Sustaining Member
I was going to post some pics of a 21' powerboat that had a "brick wall" fall on it but I guess he sold it. Too bad, I hate it when stuff like that happens.

How mechanically inclined are you? The only thing I can think of(having the same mast section) would be to fabricate a chunch of aluminum or a beveled, cut-off bolt the same size as the luff tunnel, insert it at the slide opening and pound it thru the obstruction a few times using a flat bar the same thickness as the slot. After that some judicious prying and filing should clean-up the slot. It will "never" come back 100% but should be servicable. The dents you'll have to live with, unless you fill and paint the mast, but shouldn't be a structural concern. Is the mast itself still straight???

Good Luck, I feel your PAIN!:esad:

Last edited:
What about a reputable auto body shop? They should have the specialized tools and experience to pull the dent out and straigten the section. This isn't so much different than a fender bender. - Chris

Eslovett

SV Dulcinea
Thanks for the advice. I had the same thoughts about using a similar diameter piece and tapping it through the track.

Fortunately, the mast is still straight.

Glyn Judson

Mast slot repair.

Dear Eslovett, You might want to consider tapering the leading edge of whatever tool you end up making so it will part the slot smoothly. A blunt end on a tool might peel the soft aluminum as a chisel would a piece of wood. Also, you might want to seek the advise of those on the list and elsewhere far wiser than I on the subject of the strength of the mast with that dent in it. I'd hate to have you get caught in a big blow only to have the mast bend at that very spot. Thoughts anyone? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I had the same concern as Glyn. But I don't know how concerned you should be.

Have you talked to your insurance company?

Eslovett

SV Dulcinea
Alls Well

I took your advice at had a cylindrical "blank" made at a local machine shop. It has about 20/1000ths larger diameter then the gooseneck that slides into the track. By heating with a propane torch and tapping the "blank" through the channel I was able to bring the track back to servicable condition. I also had to take a small pry bar to open the slot enough to insert the blank. They key to this repair was caution and patience.