• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

almost done.... E-23

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
:egrin: Gettin' there...almost done...I will do a float test and mark the waterline over the next few weeks...then, start to work on the deck and rigging...any tips on working w/30 year old, salt water frozen winches ?? ... thanx to all for the tips and sugguestions.......richard / colorado

hull.jpg

DSC_2234.jpg

DSC_2236.jpg

DSC_2237.jpg

:esad:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks good so far, Richard. Have fun with those winches. I guess I'd start with a fresh water soak - maybe warm water - and see what happens. Maybe they won't be beyond saving, but I wouldn't count on it.

rbonilla

whats the process to do a "soaking"...and where do I find replacements if needed?...thanx...:)

Looks good so far, Richard. Have fun with those winches. I guess I'd start with a fresh water soak - maybe warm water - and see what happens. Maybe they won't be beyond saving, but I wouldn't count on it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
whats the process to do a "soaking"...and where do I find replacements if needed?...thanx...:)

Replacing them should be easy (if you want to write the check). Keep a lookout for a couple of Lewmar 16 ST winches on Craigs or eBay.)

Presuming that you have removed them from the boat:
For cleaning an old encrusted winch, I would try one solvent for the congealed grease and another for the salts. Two different solvents, actually. Maybe dunk them in warm paint thinner (non polar) for the greasy stuff, and then hot water (polar) to dissolve out the salt crystals.

Remember the old text material from h.s. chem class about polar and non-polar solvents? Finally, after all these decades, a chance to use the info!
:)

Or was it the other way around?! It's been a looooong time...
:nerd:

Loren
:cool:

ps: the hull looks Great in those pics!!

Last edited:

rbonilla

ok...cool...sounds like either way they will need to be removed, ea?...i can start w/that....are they just bolted from the bottom?

Replacing them should be easy (if you want to write the check).
Presuming that you have removed them from the boat:
For cleaning an old encrusted winch, I would try one solvent for the congealed grease and another for the salts. Two different solvents, actually. Maybe dunk them in warm paint thinner (non polar) for the greasy stuff, and then hot water (polar) to dissolve out the salt crystals.

Remember the old text material from h.s. chem class about polar and non-polar solvents? Finally, after all these decades, a chance to use the info!
:)

Or was it the other war around?! It's been a long time...
:nerd:

Loren
:cool:

ps: the hull looks Great in those pics!!

Glyn Judson

Rebuilding your winches.

Richard, Soak/scrub your winches in kerosene or the like. As far as parts are concerned, that'll probably be limited to pawls and their springs, and you're in luck. There's about 103% chance that they are standard parts available at any chandler. Years before your boat was made, the industry got together and agreed to standardize and use those two parts through out the industry, kind of like radiator caps and valve stems. Use any good quality waterproof grease during reassembly but be sure to only use oil on the pawls. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Glyn Judson

Tearing your winches down.

Richard, Loren speaks wisely, I'll have to include a water rinse as a part my next servicing. Before unbolting the winches from below, remove the winch drum (different method with each manufacturer), leaving the bronze base attached to the boat. Then proceed to clean,lubricate and reinstall everything. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

sleather

Sustaining Member
ok...cool...sounds like either way they will need to be removed, ea?...i can start w/that....are they just bolted from the bottom?

There should be a center screw/bolt that holds the drum on, remove that and BE SURE that you have a containment constructed around the base(cardboard and duct-tape) as the bearings, pawls and springs will try to find a new home when the drum's removed.:( Don't ask!

After the drum's removed there should be ~6-8 thru bolts on the winch base. Two person job w/ a bilge rat holding the nuts.

Hey, she's gettin there, splash pics req'd.!:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On an older boat that is being restored, I would really really want to remove the winch bases from the boat. They should be rebedded after all these years, anyway. Then you can take all the parts home for a good cleaning and inspection.
When you get a chance, please post some close-up pics of the winches.
Best,
Loren

ps: mental image of Richard, reenacting the Eli Wallach character from "The Good The Bad The Ugly", trying all the different pistol parts, piece by piece, turning the cylinder, listening intently to the clicking.... :)

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Exactly what Loren and Glyn have said. Warm or even hot water won't hurt the winch and it might even loosen up the congealed grease, which could be as big a problem as salt. You'll be coating every surface with a little grease or oil before you assemble it again. The Docs and Specs section has lots of good documentation on the usual winches that came with the Ericsons. The cleaning and lubricating advice works across all types of winches. And only use a light weight oil on the pawls. Pay attention on disassembly and that will help avoid confusion when putting them back together.

Be careful about over-lubricating. It's surprising how little grease is recommended when lubing a winch, but using too much is wasteful and messy to deal with later. The extra stuff moves around and is just a place for salt and moisture to collect and eventually cause other problems. It's hard not to lather it on, but it isn't necessary.

rbonilla

nice everyone !! thanx for the tips....i should get to this project in the next few weeks....i am gettin the outboard ready to run and do a float test w/aprox weight ... mark up the waterline for painting ... put back on the regs and stickers and finish up the bottom....then, i will start the deck and interior projects....:nerd:

rbonilla

thanx Steve...I am guessin' you just saved me a few hrs w/your tip...i will keep you all updates as i attack the winch issue....:egrin:

There should be a center screw/bolt that holds the drum on, remove that and BE SURE that you have a containment constructed around the base(cardboard and duct-tape) as the bearings, pawls and springs will try to find a new home when the drum's removed.:( Don't ask!

After the drum's removed there should be ~6-8 thru bolts on the winch base. Two person job w/ a bilge rat holding the nuts.

Hey, she's gettin there, splash pics req'd.!:egrin:

LunAzul

salt water frozen winches

we bought this e 23, now LunAzul, and have been restoring her and sailing her for three seasons, the "frozen winch" starboard was nothing more than a broken spring for the ratchet which looked like a safety pin so I found a safety pin comparable in size snipped off the head and point installed and voila!! works great! old winch but still working! and made a custom handle with her name engraved on it!

will send photos of bottom, keel (hasn't fallen off yet), sails, rigging , racing etc, soon:):):)

Love this e 23!!!