• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

refrigeration on my 30+

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I converted my icebox with a Nova Kool DC unit but find that there is inadequate insulation between the engine area and the cooler. I was thinking that I would modify my chart table into a top loader fridge (it is too small for chart work anyway).

I thought I could raise the chart table portion level with the top of the little wet locker and then build an enclosure from the fwd. end of the quarter berth to the wet locker. I could then get about 5 inches of urethane foam in the sides and a little more under. I think I could foam the area between hull and liner that forms the footwell in this area.

I would then gain a substantial, level area atop the old chart table for food prep. etc as well as being able to use the old icebox for dry storage. I store charts rolled in tubes in the top of the quarterberths. Does anyone have any advice on this zany idea or fridge building tips? do I have too much time on my hands?
cheers
Graham Cole
'84 E-30+ Nomad
Vancouver

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I am trying to make more useable galley counter space while winning a little more storage space. I find the chart table too small for much of anything and am trying to think of ways to optimize space. One of very few things I like about Hunter sailboats is the fridge design. It is efficient and very easy to get into. After measuring carefully, There is not much space to be had in a chart table/icebox after you achieve R-28 insulation. Back to the drawing board. Do you have any nifty ideas that work on your boat?Graham Cole

Kimberly Thomas

It's an interesting and ambitious task. One of the things I do not like on the E30+ is the lack of storage. If you are going to eliminate the chart table function, you could extend all the way down to the cabin sole. That's more area than you need for a refer, but you could have storage underneath. I would try improving the existing insulation first. It seems like much less work. Yes the chart table is too small to spread out a chart, but there are other uses for a "desk." It takes a pretty big boat to have a chart table big enough to accomodate a full chart.:egrin:

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I concur. I had intended to fill the space fully to the deck and aft to the quarter berth. The "Desk" is not useful to me as I don't fit behind it very well! (too many cocktails!)
Graham Cole