• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Underwater hull cleanning and prop replacement

glen_dc

Member II
I came across a scuba diving company that offers underwater hull/prop shaft cleaning. It's affordable ($5.5 per foot) and I am inclining to do it (my E29 was in the water this winter and I think the winter before since the PO did not care much about her). Is it worth doing or just waste of money?

Along with cleaning I am thinking of replacing the prop. How difficult for a scuba diver to replace the prop? I think it's just one nut not a rocket science.

Also, what is the common opinion on proper propeller for E29 - size, number of blades, brand. I heard that three blade props are better...

Glyn Judson

Bottom cleaning & prop removal.

Glen, Wow we live in different worlds!! Here in SoCal I pay $23 per month for bottom service, albeit with much less growth as compared to an entire season such as what you might experience. I'm in Marina del Rey, CA with over 6,000 other boats and of all the dive services here, only one has a hydraulic prop remover (my service) that makes it possible to do the job in the water. I'm told that the problem with wheel puller types it that the diver ends up doing more spinning when turning the bolt on the puller, thereby making the job if not impossible, very difficult. Why not change the prop on the hard? Even if you're already in the water can't you get all your ducks lined up and then have the boat hauled for 30 minutes or so to make the prop swap, then right back in again? I know my yard will do that over lunch with the boat left in the Travelift slings. As to the correct prop for the boat/engine combination, you might get help from the engine manual regarding cruising RPM's for the prop. As an example, my Yanmar 3 requires it to be able to achieve 3,600 RPM but states that it should only be run for sustained periods between 3,000 and 3,400 RPM. You need to find out the maximum RPM for your engine as a first step. Then talk to a prop shop or other E29 owners on this list to see if they have the same engine and if they can achieve the maximum RPM. Please don't get me wrong, this is not to suggest that you need to or should operate your engine at max RPM, it's only that at least with that Yanmar, it needs to get to that speed to know that you've zeroed in on the right prop diameter and pitch. Share with us your engine make and model number. If it's an Atomic 4 you might find Moyer Marine helpful http://www.moyermarine.com/. Good luck and keep us all posted with the results, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Mike.Gritten

Member III
$23 per month! Wow, we live in the PNW and it costs us $4 per foot (waterline length) for a good clean and zincs replaced. We have it done every other month during the spring/summer/fall. Don't bother in winter as haulout each spring takes care of any growth. So that means it's about $100 a throw to have it done. The diver BTW does a good job and the boat is MUCH better afterward. The prop seems to make the most difference as it gets covered with barnacles.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Blue Planet Dive Servise in Annapolis. $100 to clean my 38. Talk to Sally tell her I referred you.

1237 Pine Ave.
Shady Side MD 20764

Contact Person: Ms Sally Morris
Phone: 410-867-2962
Blue Planet Dive Services