• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Planning to sail north

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
I am getting ready to sail our new (to us) '87 Ericson 34 North to Maine, from Cape Cannaveral Fl. We are planning a shakedown cruise to the Bahamas and back, for spring break,(April 19th to the 27th), afterwards I drop my partner off so she can fly back and then her daughter and I will sail Island Girl home. I have three ocean passages under my belt, which include sailing 'round the clock for two weeks on one trip, and eight foot seas for two days on another trip, plus lots of Gulf of Maine time in our Bristol 29. Tracy's daughter has small sailboat experience and lots of enthusiasm. We are installing new radar and gps, EPIRB and a barometer; and reading lots of sailing books. The boat came with an excellent autopilot and a 9.5 ft Zodiac, with motor. I want to have a pleasant trip, but be ready for anything. The plan is to sail 500 miles direct to Cape Lookout, NC, take a break, get some rest, and then sail another 500+ leg to Cape Cod, and then take our time on the last 200 miles home. I expect that low's sweeping across the the Carolinas will result in winds clocking around, and if we leave while it is from the SW, it will be coming from the West and then from the NW and hopefully, we will be anchored safely in NC before we get headed. So how do folks that sail that part of the world, plan such a trip? If the seas are moderate and no major weather systems are coming through, off you go?

This is my first trip as captain and I was hoping to get advice from any East coast sailors on planning a trip like this. How do you assess conditions and choose a good weather window? Some say that the first two weeks in May are a good time of the year for such a trip and others say to expect the unexpected, that time year. Any advice?

James and Tracy

jkenan

Member III
Keep a close eye on the weather. When my wife and I sailed our E29 home from Rock Hall, MD in April/May of '05, a nor'easter descended with only two days warning, clocking winds over 100mph!! A couple of sailors died who were caught offshore. We came down via the ICW, and got to hole up in Ocracoke for three days. Attached a couple of photos. Harbor winds were clocked at 114mph by the Ferry dock! Would not want to be out in that.

More importantly, always stay within access to a good beer, even if you have to wade to get there.

Seriously though, you may want to consider sailing to NC on the outside since there are so many ports of call along the way, and then taking the ICW thru the Chesapeake Bay since refuge is more limited on the outside in those lats, and emerging out again in the Delaware bay or even further north. That's what I'd do this time of year.

Sounds like an exciting trip! Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_2134.jpg
    IMG_2134.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 105

saltbox

Ericson 34 Owner
Thanks for the advice. I may try to sail direct to Charleston from Grand Bahamas and which keeps us close to various inlets and if the conditions are good, continue on to Cape Lookout and then do the ICW to Norfolk.

James and Tracy

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Good luck James. Let us know when you leave. If you have any problems north of LI, feel free to contact me. I had a problem in Marblehead moving my boat and a fellow sailor helped me out. (207)831-8508

jkenan

Member III
Again, good luck. You'll be passing by Oriental, NC on the ICW just north of Beaufort, which is a great stopover destination. If you need anything, let me know (beer qualifies).

Keep us posted.

Bardo

Member II
Saltbox,
I left a post on the other thread, but want to reiterate our offer of assistance and hospitality in the mid-Chesapeake Bay area. Any issues or problems, or if you want a snug harbor slip for the night at Flag Harbor, just let me know.

Best regards,
Freeman

EGregerson

Member III
e34

I'd suggest a Yachtman's guide for the Bahamas if you don't already have one. A shot to Charleston from the Bahamas makes sense; the weather windows don't appear to be that large. If you plan 500 miles at say 5 knots; that's 4 days of fair winds. that's optimum. From charleston, you could jump to Beaufort (Bofort); then up the icw. There's quite a bit of shoaling at the inlets along the NC coast like Topsail and New River. I have 5' draft; didn't have too much problem; just pushed thru some sand in a few places. If you have 6' draft, you might want to wait for tide. Slow down in either case at these inlets. But you're prepared with crew and equipment for the off shore; it's better that way. After a shot from Charleston to Bofort, from Beaufort NC it's only 200 (statute) miles to Norfolk up the icw. (you avoid the northeast NC coast; the part that's pictured in all the posters with the famous 300 shipwrecks!) Less waiting for bridges; no wondering if Camp Lejune is conducting maneuvers that day and has the icw closed temporarily. Less worry about the bridges that might be closed temporily for repair (i waited til noon the next day at Figure 8 bridge for repairs). And avoiding much of the rush of boaters coming back up north! Good luck and fair winds.