• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E29 Owner

Gmilburn

Member III
Hi Everyone, I'm a new E-29 owner and need some basics that I cant find while searching the board.

First off--Can someone clue me into the Hull Number from the Hull Serial Number: ERY29515M77G. I understand the 29 and the '77, but is mine hull number 515?

Secondly, I had the sails and mast taken down by the marina and the boat shipped down to Beaver Lake in Arkansas, and after some requisite repairs, will have to step the mast and rerig the standing and running rigging. I'm a bit embarrassed to say, I may be a bit in over my head. I've read almost everything I can, including the E29 owners manual, but nowhere can I find "directions" on stepping and rigging. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or do I need to find a local "old salt"?

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• Hull Number2.jpg
    Hull Number2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 95

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hin

Gary,
My middle aged eyes could not read the numbers very well.
So I took your image and used Photoshop LE to crank the contrast way up and am reposting it.
I changed the brightness too, but did not attempt color correction. Sorry 'bout the odd tint!
:)

Hope you don't mind...

LB

Attachments

• Enhansed Hull Number.jpg
    Enhansed Hull Number.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 78
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Gary,

She is hull number 515 and was completed July of 1977, the G is the month indicator. I don't know where I read that but there are more important things I can't remember.

The mast should have about 4" rake aft ant the top if a standard and the specs say 9" if a tall but I would not go for more that 4-5" on the tall if you have prevalent winds above 15. The mast should be measured by a halyard to the toe rail if to check for being straight up side to side. If the halyard is on the port sheave measure to the outside of the toe rail on port and inside on starboard (this is to allow for the halyard not being center of the mast). The shrouds should be adjusted to have very little if any slack on the lee side make sure that the loser shrouds don’t pull the mast out of column. The heavier the winds you are sailing the tighter the rig needs to be.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Beaverville

Gary, Welcome aboard!:egrin: FYI there's a fellow Viking on Beaver Lake w/ a 25' name's Mike AKA "mgray003". He's also a relative newbie, but "may" have some contacts. Just thought you might want to know.

mgray003

Member II
Hi Gary,
Let me know when you are ready to bring the boat down to the club. I'm sure we can get some experienced help to step the mast and launch when you are ready. In the mean time, as this weather gets nice, give me a call if you want to come sail with me some day.
Mike Gray

Gmilburn

Member III
Warm Welcome

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the warm welcome. Ive been working on the dry docked boat almost every spare minute on the weekends (I travel extensively during the week)--and there is soooooo much to do. (Bilge pump retrofit last weekend).

I'm sure this will turn out better than when my wife talked me into putting a swimming pool in our dream house. I am confident I spend more hours tending to the pool than actually using it. Smile! :)

With all kidding aside, I LOVE working on the boat--it is relaxing to me--and rewarding to know I am really making a difference. I'm sure most people on this site, know the feeling!

Looking forward to getting the boat back in the water--with a Memorial Day target (well see if I can make it or not)--but regardless of the date, its comforting to know that I will have some seasoned sailors to help with the launch and rigging!

I'm hoping to be at the club this weekend for the work day--perhaps I will see ya there!

Best Regards,
Gary
1977 E-29T Hull 515
"HydroPhillic"

mgray003

Member II
Gary,
Memorial Day! Wow! That's pretty soon. I hope you make it. And remember to let me know when you plan to bring the boat to the club. I'll be glad to help. I'm sure there will be others also. Those guys really helped me when I brought mine in last summer.
Not sure I can make it to the club Saturday. My wife will have thyroid surgery tomorrow. We're expecting a positive result, but she'll be down for a couple weeks. I'll just have to see. Talk to you soon,
Mike

Steve Swann

Member III
Swimming pools and Ericsons

Gary,

Sitting in a cove on your new sailboat is like floating in a 360 degree swimming pool that you don't have to maintain.

Now if you want a swimming pool and an aquarium, go to Tahiti, rent a sailboat if you are in a hurry, and take a mask and snorkel. I can assure you that this beats maintaining the pool and colorful fish at your house.

The boat is so much more the smarter purchase! Congratulations and welcome!

Steve Swann
E25 c/b "Seahorse"