• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First Sailboat-First post

Rick Horton

My wife and I just bought a beautifully cared for and totally equipped 1975 E-29 from my father in laws estate. It is my first sailboat but have been around powerboats all my life. All I can say is WOW ! What a boat to learn on. My wife and I have been sailing almost every weekend since November and I can not seem to get enough. Ihave really enjoyed the relatively uncrowded sea and dock conditions this time of year, good time to learn the ropes. Is it true wind conditions are better/stonger in winter/spring than the rest of the year.
This boat has a Universal diesel and I am changing the motor oil. It has a 2 foot tube out the bottom of the pan. Will gravity drain this as the bucket will be positioned above the pan itself. Also ,what is the best way to drain the ATF from the Hurst transmission? Thanks for any and all info.

Jarod

Member III
Hi Rick,

Welcome to the group. I am fairly new with sailboats as well and have learned most of what I do know from sifting through this site and of course trial and error, busted knuckles, bumps bruises etc etc. I would suggest the Oil Boy Fluid Extractor or a similar pump to pull the oil out of the engine/transmission. I tried without the pump and it isn't worth the frustration. My engine is an Atomic 4 gas powered and I simply run the engine for 15 minutes under load at the dock and suck up the oil in about 4 minutes...nice and clean doesnt spill a drop and you also have a convenient way to transport the oil to the recycling station. I would advise against the really cheap pumps as I hear they do not work very well. Please see the link below for a pic of the one I have.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...eId=10001&Ntk=Primary+Search&ddkey=SiteSearch

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello Rick,
I use a simple drill powered pump from "Shurflo" IIRC, that is plumbed with some fittings so that it simply screws onto the hose you speak of. The drill pump moves the oil out in a few minutes if the oil is warm, into the container of my choosing. I think the pump was @$17 and I already have a cordless drill.

To extract the oil from the transmission I use a hand vacuum pump, commonly called a MityVac, but mines from Sears. I have a Ball jar with two very small brass nipples screwed/glued into the top so that you can pull vacuum on the jar and suck liquids up into it. I built it to do brake work but it works great for this too. Just use regular vacuum tubing and probe around in the trans while pumping the MityVac. It will draw the oil out easily. There is less than 12oz in the Hurth trannys so it doesn't take long.

RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rick,
Welcome to the group. Which model of Universal do you have. Ours is the 23 hp model M25XP.

Try some searches here. Here are some good threads.Use words like Hurth and ATF...
(Lots of info, but scattered through a bunch of related engine and transmission threads.)

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=3403&referrerid=28

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2095&referrerid=28

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4721&referrerid=28

I use the hose that comes from the banjo fitting on the bottom of the engine pan, and run the oil changer sucker hose down inside that hose. I pump all four quarts out with the Tempo oil changer. It works very well.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

Rick Horton

Thanks all for your replies, Now I know I have to pump it out and I like the drill idea since it is cheap and I already own the drill. I cant tell you what a wealth of info this site provides to new boat owners like myself.

Rick Horton
E-29 "Peace"
Des Moines (Poverty Bay). Washington