• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Alternative to self-tailing winches?

ChrisS

Member III
Any recommendations to a decent alternative for self-tailing winches? Currently I have a pair of Lemar 40 STs that I use a sheet winches, but I can't reach them from the wheel while singlehanding. I singlehand about 30% of the time, and need to be able to trim the jib better while behind the wheel.

As a solution, I am debating either picking up a pair of used non-selftailers, and then moving the self-tailers close to the wheel, or installing the non-selftailers close to the wheel with those jam cleats on plates, or perhaps those blue "Wincher" things.

Any good alternatives to making non-selftailers a bit more user friendly?

Mort Fligelman

Member III
"Blue Winchers"

I put the blue winchers on the primary #25 Barlow winches and the #23 Barlow halyard winches I had on my Seidelmann 299.

They worked fine if you only had to trim two or three turns....maybe even four.....BUT, any more than that they began to wrap the line around itself......

If you keep that in mind, and know the limitations they serve very well......and in a very economical way.....

For the price as compared to even a used non self tailer it is well worth trying....

Suggestion......just buy one.....try it out...experiment.....you will have lost very little if it does not work out....

FWIW

Mort Fligelman
1987 E35-3
Acapella
Boca Raton, FL

CaptDan

Member III
I'd go with Plan A - move the self tailers you already own, then mount a pair of smaller secondaries in their place.

I have a pair of winchers on my Barient 28s, and they work fine, but it's their location adjacent to the helm that makes the difference.

Singlehanding is made 200% more difficult when the winches are kept forward in factory 'racing' position.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Trucker Doug

Member II
I have winchers on my 30+ and suprisingly enough, they work great. Not as good as self tailing but think $40 vs ? Worth a try.

Starduff

Member II
Winchmate

This is not a recommendation, but here is a possible alternative. I saw this ad in a magazine called "Windcheck". It's a free magazine in the Northeast. Anyway they have a product called "WINCHMATE", which converts Barient & Barlow #27-#32 winches to a self tailing winch. Might be worth looking into.
Their website is www.winchmate.com. They also have a phone number: (415) 460-5151. Hope it proves fruitfull.
Richard:egrin: