• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rebedding Deck Hardware

Glyn Judson

Bedding those pesky blind traveler bolts.

Marty, David and all, I just called Harken and talked to Tech Rep Rick who directed me to the installation instructions (pdf) for just that track. This is what it reads verbatim:
Place one plastic washer on each bolt under the track. (According to Rick, the washer should go under the stainless plate that's under the bolt heads). These plastic washers are necessary to force bedding compound into the mounting holes and insure a good seal.
Apply high quality bedding compound to mounting surface around each hole.
Place bolts into holes and lower track. Bolt securely using lock washers or
locknuts. Most mounting surfaces will require a backing plate for proper
strength. These Nylon washers just might be the answer to your dilemma if you already haven't done so. Marty, want some help rebedding the track? Give me a call and we can do it together, one guy outside, one guy inside. David, you're on your own!! ; - ) I hope this helps and works, Glyn

ChrisS

Member III
I second Capt. Trolley's

Glyn's fix sounds like the best way to go, but I found that to stop a leaky genoa track on the toe rail (see an earlier thread), Capt. Trolley's has worked well to seal out the water that was coming in via the stainless steel fasheners bolted through the auminium track (corrosion). So far I get no drips like I used to, but we'll see how it goes as the sailing season progresses and the track bears a load.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Thanks to all who responded. I made a third assault on bedding
this track again today. The captain tolleys is a good idea, but
wouldn't work in this application. The problem is water pools up
in the recess and then sloshes up inside the track from the ends-
eventually working its way down. My fasteners came with stainless
washers which were installed both times previous, and failed to
solve the problem-all due respect to Harken. So this time, I roughly
positioned the bolts along the slot in the track that retains their
heads, and then filled the groove with caulking end to end as
well as laying a thick bed of it on the glass recess. This took
a whole tube to caulk to bed this one piece of track but I figure
if water can't get inside to begin with...

Martin...keeping his fingers crossed.

lbertran

Member III
Harken Traveler

Hi, All-
I installed the high profile track, Harken Big Boat traveler on my 1985 E35-3 two years ago. I only bolted it down at the fiberglass traveler towers and brackets on either end. I simply epoxied shut all of the sea hood bolt holes.
I followed the Harken instructions and used the plastic washers they provided under the track. I've never had a leak. I think the captive bolts and track will seal well over the caulked bolt hole if the plastic washer is used. Good luck!