• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Reefing line idea!?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
In the process of thinking through my current OCD project, running the reefing lines to the cockpit I had an idea. The line that will pull down/secure the tack, I have generally seem this run through a fairlead on the mast, at a particular angle to allow the tack to tension correctly, and then to block at the mast collar, etc.

On my gooseneck there is a double reefing tack hook "thingy" that also secures the primary tack, secured by the main boom pivot bolt. My idea is to simply procure a second piece and modify it. The modification would entail cutting off the tack hooks and welding on heavy stainless rings, @1"id, oriented "flat" ie. parallel to the boom. The tack reefing lines would pass from the mast collar blocks through these rings, on each side of the gooseneck, and on up to the tack points.

The result would be that the tack point would pull down to and stop at these rings, maintaining the same tack location as the original hooks. They would swing with the boom and I think generally be "cooler"! :egrin:

What do you think? Clear as mud? I think it would work very well. RT

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Sounds like it would work to me. Would you have to be extra careful to tension the halyard on the way down when you're reefing so that you don't snarl the reefing line in the ring? Maybe the correct diameter ring would prevent that altogether. It might not be any worse than snarling the block at the base of the mast.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Do you have enough room at the cockpit for double line reefing? I use the leech reef lines led aft but have the hooks at the gooseneck to attach rings from the luff of the sail to. With everything else led aft I dont have the clutch/organizer space to have 2 more lines led aft.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I wonder if the ring alone would result in too much friction for the halyard running through it. This could be solved by adding a block to the ring and running the reefing line through the block. You could try without the block, and then add it later if the friction is too great.
Frank.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for the input!

The rings I am thinking of, maybe 1" id, would allow the reefing tack ring to pull down to it but not through it. I cannot see how this would get fouled up since its a straight shot.

I don't see how friction is going to be a problem as the line will be pulling almost straight down from the reefing tack point through the ring with maybe 10* deflection to a block at the mast collar. The ring would only really be there to stop the reefing tack point and locate it.

I have a topping lift I don't use so that will give me one line clutch location and I am planning on another line clutch to handle the main halyard, making that a double gives me the second reef line clutch. That would take care of the first reef. The second reef will necessitate moving the two spinnaker halyards to the mast, freeing up their clutches to the second reef's two control lines. I also have room on the port side to swap from a double clutch to a quad but that will make things very cluttered. Moving the spinnaker halyards makes the most sense to me.

Thanks! Now I have to talk to a welder....

RT