• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 27 Hull Paint

C. Trembanis

Member III
Can anyone tell me how much hull paint is needed to paint the botton of an E 27. Applying two coats. The ablative paint to be used is about $230 a gallon. I' thinking 2 quarts at $75 each.
Thanks, Chris

Jarod

Member III
It has been two yrs for me now but as I recall I used up pretty much an entire gallon for two coats.

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We have the 35 mkII and just did the bottom. It took exactly 1 gal of ACT to give me two solid coats applied with a medium roller. We had epoxied the bottom and had applied several coats of Interlux 2000E before bottom painting so the bottom was very nice and smooth.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Bottom Paint

Chris- You will need to buy a gallon for two coats. A simple formula to follow is:

Length (27') X Beam (9') X .85 = 207 sq ft.

Under perfect conditions the manufacturers state that a gallon of paint will be 400 sq ft of coverage. So if you do things perfect you will need a gallon. Instead of spending $230 on a gallon of ablative paint. Buy the West Marine version called PCA Gold @ $160/gallon. Good product, similar to Micron Extra by Interlux or Pettits Ultima SR, but less money.

Desiderata

Member II
We sanded and repainted our E-27 bottom in September. After some research, we landed on Pettit's Trinidad SR (slime resistant) RED paint. It ran at about $230ish pr. gallon. We put 2 gallons on it and got not quite 3 coats out of it. Local old salts reccommended we add cayenne pepper to the paint while applying. despite my skeptisizm, I threw some in. Opinions about how many coats varied greatly. Our local "Bottom-job" guy suggested 2 at the most and to haul out at least every other year (here in Florida) to check thru-hulls etc. Another friend who restores old boats said 4 coats at least. During the summer months here, I was astonished at how often the bottom needed cleaning/ scraping. At LEAST every other week. I swam the bottom last week and only noted a few barnacles here & there-due to the cooler water and new paint. Don't scrimp on protective gloves, clothing and especially respirators if you plan on doing the prep work yourself. Also, put down plenty of dropcloths and keep as much old material as humanly possible off the ground and out of the air. The stuff is ecollogically horrible and even worse to humans if too much material is absorbed or breathed. Be careful.
Mike