• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 control lines to cockpit....

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
On the stbd. side of the cabin top the main halyard is led in between the traveler pylon and the sea hood. There is very little room here for more lines. Currently the main halyard is led around a winch (non-st) that is forward, almost too close to the dodger, and then cleated off to a standard deck cleat just aft of the winch. What I would like to do is remove the cleat and relocate the winch aft, like the port side, and then install a triple line clutch, again, mirroring the port side, to allow the first reef to be controlled by a two line system.

So this would place the main halyard, and two 1st reef lines in a triple line clutch and the relocated winch could service these lines. Trouble is, that space between the sea hood and traveler pylon is narrow. The lines will rub on either side. Over time this will cut the gelcoat and possibly chafe lines. Is there a way, product, etc. that functions like a deck organizer but keeps the lines very close together? I had considered just using a large padeye as a fairlead mounted on the deck just forward of the dodger. Any ideas welcome.

Thanks, RT

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
RT I will take a picture of my 38 which is set up similarly to the way I think you want to do yours. I do not have any chafe issues. The leads all come back from the mast to deck organizers then to clutches. Should be down there this week and will try and snap a picture.

Last edited:

dwigle

Member III
I removed the forward outside winch and replaced it with a clutch and turning block. Then moved the other winch nearer the cockpit and installed a double clutch ahead of it. Now the main halyard and main sheet come through the double clutch and the first reef downhaul comes in the outer side of the traveler pylon and is turned to the winch with a block.
The port side has six clutches for the first outhaul, both second reef lines, spinnaker downhaul, vang, and a single third reef line (yet to be rigged). I moved the jib halyard and spinnaker halyards to the mast.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Don and Ted, thank you both!

I do not know why I didn't think to move the spinnaker halyards to the mast! Currently they run back to the cockpit, which really makes little sense since someone has to go forward and setup the spinnaker anyway. I'm thinking that would free up TWO line clutches for the reefing lines, which make a whole lot more sense led back to the cockpit as I reef far more often then I mess with a 'chute.

Two line clutches on the mast to handle the spinnaker halyards and then some careful planning should allow TWO reef points back to the cockpit instead of the one I had planned. It would seem to make more sense to run the reefing lines back to the cockpit, right? When it gets crappy I would rather be able to reef from the cockpit than hoist a spinnaker!

Its like a big lightbulb just went on..... :p

RT