• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck shoe recommendations

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Didn't quite know where to post this so I'll put it here.

I need to purchase a pair of good deck shoes and would like to know what others recommend. I found a link to a magazine review of several brands and of those reviewed the best in terms of price/quality/function seem to be these (in order of preference):

Timberland Eurus
Harken Vortex
Sperry Figawi

I want to consider not only wet/non-slip performance but arch support and full-day comfort.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

paul culver

Member III
I always wear my cordovan wing tips with mid-calf black socks and white bermuda shorts when I'm out on the water. It seems to get a lot of attention.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Having a wide foot size (E), I started wearing Rockport "Pro Walkers" for all-around boating and deck shoes about 15 years ago... Usually bought on sale from one of their many outlet stores.
I also need the arch support, and I found that Sperry Top Siders had none and hurt my feet. So much for yachting tradition. :rolleyes:

Timberland used to have a pricey deck shoe, in widths. Maybe they still do?

Loren

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Yeah, the traditional Topsiders and others like them have no support and no cushioning. The newer "athletic shoe" designs seem the way to go.

The Timberland Eurus is pricey at $104, but the review was good. The lacing system is kind of odd and I'm not sure how replaceable it is. I don't mind paying for a good pair of shoes, but the problem is finding them to try on. I'll probably be ordering on the web.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I really like the Teva deckshoes. I wear the "Helm". It looks like they've changed the upper a little, but that sole is fantastic on the boat. you stick like glue. I also love the drains in the sole because I spend a fair amount of time hanging from lifelines. Much better support than other deck shoes I've owned. About $100.
Just don't plan to wear them on the street as the super soft sole will wear out in no time. I keep an extra pair of Helly Hanson's that I bought half price on the boat to wear on the street.

6219-436404-p.jpg

Emerald

Yeah, the traditional Topsiders and others like them have no support and no cushioning. The newer "athletic shoe" designs seem the way to go.

The Timberland Eurus is pricey at $104, but the review was good. The lacing system is kind of odd and I'm not sure how replaceable it is. I don't mind paying for a good pair of shoes, but the problem is finding them to try on. I'll probably be ordering on the web.

If you're looking for a traditional leather upper, check out the ones from West Marine. The pair I picked up several years back actually has some insole complete with arch support and a little cushion. Not on par with a running type shoe, but a whole lot better than the standard flat bottom Sperry style.

Bud H.

Member II
Crocs

If you don’t mind being a bit unconventional you can’t beat a pair of Crocs. Slide on slide off, good traction on deck and any color you want and you can even get a pair from west marine that sort of look like top siders. You couldn’t ask for a better shoe to stand in all day. If you give them a try you will love them.:egrin:

Sam Vickery

Member III
Deck Shoes

I picked up a pair of Timberland Eurus last year ($60 on sale). Easy on, easy off. Sticks to the deck like glue and is light weight as well as comfortable.

I would buy them again.

Sam

Emerald

Yes, they must be hard on the cushions, but if the ladies are wearing that, and the gents are wearing Paul's cordovan wing tips and black socks, it will be quite the show. Of course, we might have to consider as a group visiting this vessel to see if they really should be wearing horns...:devil:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I actually had a day sail date with a gal who actually showed up at the boat wearing something like those one time. She also brought rolling luggage. For a Day Sail!!
:confused::confused: Don't date her any more.

Personally I wear the old fashioned kind of flat sole deck shoes. I do have a good pair of the ones with the gummy soles on board but I forget to wear them. I can't wear them any where else because everything sticks to them, but boy do they grip the deck.:egrin:

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
Deck Shoes

I love any teva with their spyder rubber sole - I where a pair of the sandles that has some toe protection, forget the model, but they stick like glue. As mentioned else where, the soles are soft and will wear out.
I also like Keen's which also seem to have good grip. I wear the flip flops from Keen, which have toe protection.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Jeff those are really tough on the cockpit cushions....
I was thinking they'd be tough on the headliner. :p

I'm a big fan of the fugawi. They are a nice cross between a sneaker and a water-shoe. i like how minimalist they are, while still offering good support. As nice for windsurfing as they are for yachting. And they pack really well.

A few years ago I had a more typical "sneaker" type deck shoe - maybe Harken? Maybe WestMarine? And it was bulky and didn't dry out well. Poor design.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Ended up ordering a pair of the Timberland Eurus Class II Low (below).

The Teva's look nice, too. If these don't work out maybe they'll be next...

Attachments

• 1729-149500-d.jpg
    1729-149500-d.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 132

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Keen

My wife and I swear by our "Keens". They're tough, comfortable and make great deck shoes. We bought the sandal kind with the covered toe which protects you from running into a cleat when you're rushing out of the cockpit. We bought ours about two years and wear them constantly. They even make great beach shoes and they dry in no time.

When they start to get a little "ripe", as deck shoes tend to do sometimes, just throw them into the wash machine. They're tough enough to take that sort of beating. Did I say I like them? :egrin:

Attachments

• 7954-62683-d.jpg
    7954-62683-d.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
As a hold over from my waterskiing days I go bare foot unless the temperature makes me wear shoes. It feels unnatural to wear shoes on a boat.

You would be surprised the traction you get standing in a puddle of blood, I would have thought it would have been slippery. Once we did have to wash the deck down during a race due to my taking off the side of a little toe,

Just me but not recommended.

Emerald

Hi Randy,

actually agree with you on liking bare feet most. Amazing how helpful toe grip can be. You also have instant feedback on how slick the surface is because you feel it! Been lucky and haven't done the toe slice. Knock no wood. I learned about blood being nice and sticky by coating wrenches working on cars. Good grip :egrin:

Last edited: