• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 shaft coupling

rod sanburn

Member II
All,
The distance between the output shaft of the A-4 and the 3/4 prop shaft is very very close in my 1974 E27. When inspecting to replace the packing I was surprised to see a piece of reinforced neo hose with clamps instead of a coupling. I've been running this way for 6 years. Anyone else out there that has the same set-up?:confused: Rod

P.S. Its so close that I'm having problems getting the packing nut far enough away to add new.

Jarod

Member III
Hi Rod,

I went through exactly the same thing on my e27. The issue is the hose ...the clamps need to be loosened and the whole assembly pushed aft on the shaft log. This will allow you enough room to back the nut off on the stuffing box without making contact with the shaft coupling. In my case the coupling is a rusted knot and the bolts are rusted (rounded) off. I was told that I would have to cut the shaft and pull the engine to get the coupling off the shaft. I figure this approach is a bit more agressive(costly) than I would like so I plan on grinding the bolt heads off the coupling to get it off with the engine in the boat (will wet everything down well and run the blower!!). I will then replace the coupling with a new one from Moyer and replace the hose while i am at it as mine doesnt look in great shape.

Let me know how it goes.

ALSO wouldnt suggest doing it in the water...too much to go wrong and not enough room to do anything quickly......have to be a contortionist/Gumby ... if your boat is as tight as mine.

Last edited: