• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

whale pump....

rhewitt

Member II
How about some input on how-to...
The head pump out (whale pump) on our E 34 "88 with NOT pump up or down.
Wow, I looked under the sink and drawer down by the cut off thru hulls and it seems to be leaking too.
Is there some easy way to get it out to rebuild?
Has any one done this job, please let me know.

Ralph

Last edited:

Emerald

Have you used it before (assume yes, but need to establish this). If you are blocked on both the in and out sides, it won't move. I speak from experience. Perhaps you have a full tank (and/or vent) and a clogged discharge? :esad:

Shadowfax

Member III
The Horror revisted

Ralph,

I wrote a pretty detailed post on this very project on my 34. It is in the archives under "The Horror" if you want to read the whole thread. Here is a copy of just the post on the rebuild. If you need more info let me know

The Horror; Not That Horrible
Just a follow up on this thread, for those who might happen down this same path.

The pump in question turned out to be a Whale Gusher Mk III. There are two of these pumps on the boat; one is an emergency bilge pump located on the starboard side, in the rear of the cockpit and the other is the pump that will pump the contents of the holding tank overboard. My immediate problem is the holding tank pump. As noted the boat is a ’88 E34, but I believe these pumps and their arrangement is the same on the 32, 34 and 38, to my knowledge and probably other Ericson of the same vintage.

The pump located in the head looks at first glance to be almost impossible to remove because of its location, which is just to the right and below the sink. This area is a no mans land of valves, hoses and seacocks. I removed the drawer under the sink and with the drawer removed and the opening that allows you to get in to operate the seacocks, access was surprising good. There are 6 bolts to remove which breaks free the pump from the bulkhead. There are two hose clamp to undo; the one close to the seacock door is very easy to get at and with the pump loose, the hose on the other side of the pump can be got at. There are elbows off the pump with hose clamps. Do not remove these elbows from the pump; remove the hose from the elbows.

With the pump out it is rebuilding time. I opened up the pump and it is a simple [and very smelly] affair consisting of an inlet and outlet port closed by a flap and a diaphragm that manually operates the action. My immediate problem was that mechanical linkage that operated the diaphragm was broken. Off to West Marine for the rebuild kit, which with the PS card, was about $40. Unknown to me at the time was that this kit does not include the linkage part that I need, so the project went on “hold” until I could get to the Whale website for a part number, which happened Monday. Come to find out there are 3 rebuild kits for this pump. One, the one I bought, has the flapper valves and diaphragm, etc., and another kit, the linkage assembly I required. The third replaces parts that brings the linkage through a bulkhead. I called Whale; they confirmed that I needed this rebuild kit and informed me that they do not sell retail, gave me some numbers to call who are distributors and five minutes later found me on the phone with Defender. Defender as always said, “No problem, we’ll have them drop ship it today” and $55 later, $15 of it for two day shipping, I have the part, which arrived today.

I decided that since I had this thing apart and both kits in front of me, I would install both kits and not return the kit containing the diaphragm. This turned out to be the right move, as when I disassembled the pump I found the rubber parts very distorted. The hardest part of the rebuilding was handling the odor. Remember this is the holding tank pump that has been in situ for 18 years. Beyond that, the rebuild was not more then half an hour. When you attempt this project be aware that there is a front and back to the flaps that does not really show in the exploded drawing, so as you disassemble, lay the parts out to the side as you remove them so you have a guide reassemble.

Next is the bilge pump rebuild, which should be a walk in the park after this.

Hope this helps someone.

s/v Shadowfax
1988 E34 #257

Rock Hall, Maryland, Home Port

New Hope, Pennsylvania, Home

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Same pumps, similar setup as the 35. When I went to rebuild mine, I found that the flaps were in decent shape. The problem was that their seats were badly pitted. I ended up buying a new pump($$$$). My bilge pump works fair but I have the rebuild kit so I hope I can rebuild that one.

JohnK

Member II
I second what others have said about the Whale rebuild - once you have the right kit it's easy. I rebuilt my Whale cockpit bilge pump last year with a kit from Defender. Make sure that when you order the service kit, you get the right type of rubber since you can order kits with either neoprene or nitrile. Whale says:

Neoprene service kits are suited to exposed installations but are less tolerant to oils and chemicals.

Nitrile service kits are oil and chemical tolerant but have a reduced service life in high UV exposure.

Dan Morehouse

Member III
A pump beyond rebuilding

While delivering my new-to-me E-38 to Ensenada from San Diego last week, I operated the holding tank pump for the first time. The installation sounds similar to yours. The pump failed to empty the tank, but succeeded in emptying a few strokes of its contents into the space behind the cabinetry. Turns out the diaphragm had a tear in it. We had it out that night at the dock, after about an hour of effort; we too had to remove not only the drawer, but the drawer slide as well. The body casting of the pump was corroded so extensively that a hole was present in the side, and another turned up on the hub the discharge hose clamps to. That discharge port and the hose connection was so encrusted with deposits that no seal was being made at all. Before we found the holes (by beadblasting the crust off after bringing the pump home), I had fully intended to get the appropriate rebuild kit and reinstall the rebuilt pump. Now I'm thinking of installing a macerator pump instead...unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

Shadowfax

Member III
Well, you could install a macerator pump with all that entails, but you could also just buy a new Whale pump and it is only a bolt up... no electric, new hoses etc. just my 2 cents