• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck Fill Cap question

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am replacing the old deck fill as part of the fuel tank and fill hose replacement project.
I note that there are caps that do not require a special tool to open, like the "toggle cap."
From the product description:
"Toggle cap deck fills have a handle in the flush cap for convenient removal without tools. The unique design is leak proof and interchangeable with caps on other Marine Hardware™ deck fills."
I believe that this is a Skandvik product, FWIW.
Anyone with experience with these -- comments appreciated.
URL: http://www.fisheriessupply.com/onli...CO/act/A99/Ntx/mode+matchpartial+rel+Inactive

Thanks,
Loren

Attachments

• 257083_MHI_SSDF66124-TC_WPT.jpg
    257083_MHI_SSDF66124-TC_WPT.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

JORGE

Member III
deck fills& ice picks

While I was rebuilding the deck, I replaced the key type caps. The one's I have are Scandvik, which are some kind of glass filled plastic caps of different colors(diesel,water,etc.), the fixture is chromed (bronze?). They operate fine, except during a shower, and freeze, last winter, ice formed inside the little toggle hole area, this made the toggle(flip up) unmovable.

Mine have an internal safety chain to hold the cap,on one deck fill the cotter clip for the chain popped and I almost lost the cap. The O ring under the cap, of course, needs occassional light grease, as do the cap's screw threads.
:)

u079721

Contributing Partner
I've seen those too. But I wonder whether the mechanism is up to the torque that sometimes seems necessary. Especially with the fuel and waste caps I sometimes had to really strain on the key in the standard slotted caps to get them to break loose. I don't have varied enough experience to know whether that is normal or just my boat, but I would sure doubt any hinged cap mechanism would be up to that abuse for long. Maybe if you had new O rings and kept the threads well greased?

Glyn Judson

Flip up deck fills.

All, I think Loren is on to something good, what with it appearing to be all stainless. I'm familiar with the colored plastic ones and have observed that the plastic seems to get chalky and the colors fade over time. Does this compromise the strength of the flip up handles? I don't know. It never freezes here so I can't speak to the problem of the handle getting stuck in the closed position but that might be something to be aware of. But then, how often would one use them in that kind of weather? As long as the O-rings and threads are lubricated (annually in my case), they seem to always seal and open just fine. No stinkin' stainless on my deck fills though, unplated bronze is for me. ; - ) Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

stbdtack

Member III
I replaced all my deck fills on my 38 with the West marine SS fittings. They have a flip up lever to open without tools. Looks alot like the one from Fisheries Supply.

They are great. Look to be made well. Only slight issue is sometimes gets dried salt crust in the lever and hard to flip it up. A blast with the hose rinses it out easily. Also keep silicone grease on the o rings so they are easier to twist.

They also have ones with a pop up knob to open but i figure it was just another mechanism to break (spring). Happy with the lever style....

Attachments

• 011_332_003_030.jpg
    011_332_003_030.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 258

erobitaille

Member II
Deck Fill Cap

Loren,

I'm also in the process of replacing my leaking fuel tank. I'm having a hard time finding some one to fab the tank for less than $1K. Have you found some in your area?

The cap look great going to go out and buy one today.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Tank notes

I'm also in the process of replacing my leaking fuel tank. I'm having a hard time finding some one to fab the tank for less than $1K. Have you found some in your area?
The cap look great going to go out and buy one today.

As it happens, my new tank arrived mid day, via UPS. Coastline Equipment built it from my drawings.
http://www.coastline-tanks.com/
They made only one small construction error that I found when I did a trial fit this afternoon -- the brackets are wider than my plans called for and I shall have to narrow up all six of them. (Hack saw or Dremel tool will be called for.)
Tank and all fittings looks very professional, however. Total cost with shipping was $526.

Some small errors happened that were all my fault -- they put in a different size connector for both the fuel hoses, and I can change this easily since they are a pipe thread entry. I still do not know whether I should have gone with the baffle and the attendant two clean-out ports. Final capacity is certified at 19 gallons, and the addition of the baffle does slightly reduce the capacity, a little. This will give me more range under power than the stock 14 gallon tank, but more gallonage would be even better...
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

erobitaille

Member II
Loren,

Good to hear yo got your tank. I just got a call from the owner at Berry Sheet Metal in Costa Mesa, Ca. He was the original manufacturer of the tanks for Ericison funny he had every plan for all the tanks except the early 80's fuel tanks so he will make it up from our drawing anyway $475 10 day turn around:egrin: I'll let everyone know how it turns out.