• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1974 35’…Halyards are stuck

wjob

Boat new to me and sails haven’t been up for three years. First job is bulkhead replacement. Want to disconnect upper and intermediate shrouds (lowers will stay attached) but only after I’ve attached main and jib halyards somehow to toe rail. Problem is I disconnected the three halyards that run up through the mast at the mast winches (and cleats) and tried pulling hard on the opposite ends which are now clipped to various deck fittings, but none would allow me to pull up any slack? Any thoughts on how I can break them loose without going up the mast?

Also, if I have to climb the mast any thoughts on how I do it without the use of any halyards and what equipment I need to buy to accomplish it? I’m a converted power guy so will appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Finally

Up the mast

I'm new to the Ericson forum, but my previous boat had a similar problem. The masthead block pins weren't seated in bearings, and simply seated in the cheeks of the block, where they happily wore themselves into an immovable position. I wound up replacing the blocks. If you have to go aloft, I'd recommend a mast ladder that rides in the track, that you hoist aloft, then climb. If you have a very good and trusted friend, you can ride a bos'n's chair aloft, but both of my suggestions require a usable halyard to raise.
If none of them work, you may have to bring the mast down.

Finally

Up the mast

I'm thinking prussic knots work pretty much the same anywhere. :egrin:
Mountain climbers have some kind of non-slip movable stirrups. Not being a mountain climber, I have no idea what they're called, though. You move the stirrup up, take your weight off of the other, slip it up, and so forth. Not being really big on heights, hence the non-mountain climber thing, being able to access the masthead ON THE GROUND, with an assortment of tools, including the BFH is an asset to me.
I've seen more than one boat in my area with permanently mounted mast steps. Aside from the aesthetics, they look like a jam, cut line or potentially damaged sail just waiting to happen, to me.

As a long term fan of the KISS principle, I'd favor bringing the mast down. Not only for the sake of the blocks, but the wiring, the opportunity to check or install lightning protection, (a big deal here in Florida,) renew any light bulbs or fittings, and just generally giving it a going over, so that you know exactly where you are.

Either way, good luck!
Matt Nunes
Finally

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I don't think having the halyards run through the mast was the original set up on any masts (?), so it sounds like a retrofit, and therefore it is hard to speculate on what the problem may be.

Are they the original combination rope and wire halyards? If so they are not designed for the rope to be pulled through the blocks, so perhaps that is what has caused them to jam?

If they are all rope halyards, and run internally, there could be any number of problems. If both are jammed, it will take some lumberjack skills to go up. It may be time to drop the mast, which you may well have to do in order to fix the problem, as there is limited access to the blocks with the stays under tension.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972