• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cushions

jkm

Member III
I read most of the threads on cushions and then visited a local foam shop.

Prices are steep.

Basically the consensus on the weight of the foam seems to be in the neighborhood of 2.5 pounds per square foot. (I think Loren used 2.6)

Next question, what density have others used in the salon for seats??

I suppose one could certainly use a lighter weight on the seat backs, but the seat density! Any advice will be appreciated??

John

e38 owner

Member III
With foam there are often two measurements and people get confused.
The first is density per square foot. That basically is an indicator of some sort how long the foam will last and how much chemical vs air is in the foam. For seat cushions I would use a minimum of 1.8. 2.5 or 2.6 roughly the same will last a little longer.

The other measuremnt is of firmness or lbs per square foot needed to compress the foam a given amount. For seat foam you would generally want firmer foam than for back foam. If it is used as a bed like in the quarter berths or V bunk you may want a little firmer yet with a little softer foam on top. Foam suppliers have samples of different firmnesses. A good seat cushion is about 33 or 34.

The back I: would get somewhat softer, proabably in the mid 20's.

Depending on the look you desire for the back cushions you can go with a little thinner foam and a few wraps of dacron, it provides the plush look.

vbenn

Member III
cushion foam

Check out Practical Sailor. They did an article comparing different weights, densities and published an article on it with recommendations.

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
E-380-#22