• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transmission Fluid Dipstick & New Heat Exchanger

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I would try using a 6pt combination or box wrench on it. Put the wrench on, hold the hex end down on the dipstick hex head with your palm and then hit the other end of the wrench sharply with a brass mallet in the direction of loosening the piece. Often jarring it like this will break it loose. Be careful if you resort to the heat wrench. RT

dcoyle

Member III
You know, I did not try pulling the hx backwards, cant remember why, maybe bracket blocking. But if that is all it takes to allow the dipstick to come out I guess its easier than relocating hx or reengineering the dipstick. I know the cap is a lefty loosen thang and comes off with a small adjustable wrench. Thanks again for that tip!

FL Dave

Thanks

Thanks all for the great suggestions. I will eat my Wheaties and give it a go tomorrow evening or Thursday evening, and let you know. Heat gun, what a great idea. I would be nervous with the torch around the fuel and oil.
I am lucky to have great access via a cockpit sole hatch, right into the back of the engine and tranny.
David, I have enjoyed pictures of Emerald, and hope to have some of my own to share soon. Brought this darling back from the grave, nearly.

Dave
E31 Independence #36
Chance Encounter

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Dont use an adjustable wrench unless you want to trash your fitting and your hands. There's a reason they call those things knuckle busters. IIRC its 11/16" If you cant get leverage with a box end wrench try moving the HX back and going down with a socket and an extension. Maybe a swivel extension or swivel socket but be careful that the socket sits square with the bolt. Heat gun may help but be carefull. It will lift the paint on your engine almost as fast as a torch. The heat from a heatgun is also not as easy to direct and control as a torch. I would opt for a small torch myself but I have used them a lot and are compfortable with them in engine rooms under the right conditions. PB blaster is a good penetrant to try as well.