• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Halyard options?

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
I need to replace the halyards on an E-39 and would like to do the following:
Use one of the high strength ropes - a 1/4" rope in Dymeema or a Samson Validator has more strength that a 1/2" dacron XLS and it would fit through the sheaves (wire style) better, but it's hard to pull.

Could I have the first 60' from the sail in 1/4" and splice on some 1/2" dacron for the final 50' so it would be comfortable to pull. My sheets lead back to the cockpit.

Anyone have any opinions or have they seen it done.

What splicing options are available for the transition.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
That can be done pretty easily by a good shop. Your other option would be to get a double braid with high tech core and strip the cover off. Either way should work fine. make sure if you marry two different lines together that the joint is long enough to be on a winch, cleat or clutch... you don't want to stress the joint by having it be in front of a holding point like that.
Chris

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
A racer I know has high tech single braid halyards that are small diameter and also do not hold well in his clutches. He pulled the outer cover off cheap(er) double braid and fed it over the high tech stuff where he handles it and the clutches/winches grip. I think he just stitched each end to secure it. Seemed to work real well. RT

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Either of the above methods will work if done properly. Not so keen on splicing xls to some nice single braid though. Best way to do this IMHO is how Cris mentioned, strip cover. Only problem with doing that is you expose the core to UV when the boat is not in use. If you really want to save the weight aloft then strip the cover but use a coating like Yale's Maxi Jacket or Spinlock's RP25. OTOH if the only reason you want to go to high tech single braid is so it will be smaller and fit your wire sheaves then you could save yourself some dough by simply installing the correct sheaves or getting your existing ones turned on a lathe. Then you could stay with cheaper halyards, or maybe buy a nice genoa halyard in something low stretch and stay with xls for you main and spin. Genoa is the most important one to have low stretch IMHO. Check out www.apsltd. com for good prices on line and coatings. I'm not affiliated with APS just like their prices and they are local for me.