• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-28+ Crack in Bow - Again

jreddington

Member III
My 1984 E-28+ has developed cracks in the bow for the third time. They run about 18" on both the port and starboard side on the outside of the toe rail, not the hull itself. They've been there for a couple years now but I think they have dramatically widened. I should have taken a picture when I was down at the yard today.

This is the third time they have appeared. They were there when I made an offer on the boat 10 or 11 years ago. The previous owner had them repaired by someone my surveyor at the time confirmed had a good reputation.

However, about 5-6 years ago they reappeared. I had them repaired by another fiberglass shop that has a good reputation in the area. I explained that this was a reappearance and I wanted to make sure this was more than just a cosmetic fix. I don't remember the details, but they repaired both from the outside and removed the anchor locker to get at it from the back side.

Then a couple years ago the hairline cracks (now bigger) appeared again.

Talking to a broker who had been one of the biggest Ericson dealers on the East Coast, he said it was not uncommon on the E-28 and that it was just "cosmetic".

Looking at them today, cosmetically they are like a scar you can't ignore and I'm more worried about the structure. I can just picture the forces behind there as the forestay pulls up. Last thing I want is the forestay ripping out a piece of the deck in a blow.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'll work on systems all day (just got ABYC certified as an marine electrical technician) but don't feel comfortable with fiberglass work, especially with what might be the root cause of this problem.

I'll have to contract with the yard for this. But is there something specific I should be instructing them to look for or correct? I really want a permanent, safe fix. First because I don't want to have to have it done a 4th time, and second, I don't want to just cover up a structural problem that might bite me later.

Is there someone in this area (Eastern half of CT shore) who has had this fixed by someone who was able to identify an correct the root problem? If I knew of a "sure thing" contractor who knew this problem, I'd either see if they could work in my winter yard, or get the boat to them in the spring.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
You have to be getting some flex from some where. I would take a very close look at the structure in the bow. It may be that you will discover a bulkhead that is not truly secure or something. I don't have the same model as you so not an expert, but I wouldn't buy the cosmetic line for an instant. a sound boat does not crack except from abuse and if you were abusing it you would already know what is cracking it. it may take some doing but there is a reason and finding it is the only fix. good luck

GMaurer

Member II
E-28 Cracks

If I understand your situation correctly,
I have similar cracking on my 1988 E-28.
It's not extensive on wide,
but more hairline on both port & starboard at the toerail near the bow.

I've never had mine repaired, and it doesn't seem to be growing or widening.
A permanent repair/fix would be most welcome!

Greg
E. Greenwich, RI

u079721

Contributing Partner
Well of course the boat should not be cracking, but I just wanted to ask the obvious question about your rig. Any chance you have the backstay way too tight? Could be you are asking more of the structure than it was designed to handle?

EmmaJean

Bow Cracks

May be a little late but having a fair bit of remedial work done on my boat & noticed that I have similar cracking, my running lights were looking pretty ugly so I decided to replace them & fund the core in the bow deck bulge was completely rotten. So I had the fellows grind access from below in the anchor locker and remove it all and fill with fg!