• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

rusting compression post

cmaumus

While looking in the bilge of my 1982 E25+ I noticed a rusting piece of metal with what appears to be (or have been!) a nut at the bottom. Since this is right under the wooden/glass compression post in the cabin, I assume this was some sort of an adjustable compression post extension.

My questions are: Is this what I think it is and is there a more proper name for this piece? Is this a common problem? And, is there anything to be done about it?

Seems like this metal post could have been isolated from the bilge which is guaranteed to be wet and rust promoting. Does anyone know of where replacements can be bought and how big a deal is it to replace? Or should I just forget about it as the previous owners have done?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Compression post

I have an 1983 25+ and there is no steel of any kind in the bilge under the comp. post. The 2x12" comp. post sits in a well, molded into the cabin floor which sits on the hull grid. The force from the post is distributed across the bilge directly under the post well, by a f-glass bridge that sits in the bilge. Have any pictures??

Rich

cmaumus

photo

I'll see if I can get a good shot of what I'm talking about this w/e. I had the local repair/maintenance expert out last w/e working on something else and he confirmed my assumption that this was some sort of adjustable compression post. Now you've got me really curious as to what I'm really dealing with.