• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35 (1972) Wetted Surface Area

Dave Rummens

Does any one out there know what the wetted surface area of a E-35 is in sqare feet?

I am trying to calculate cost for a localized blister repair job for a 35 I am close to purchasing. I did find a calculation on the web but it requires a lot of measurements (which I can't do at this point) and uses some pretty hefty math.

Hoping someone already has the answer.

Many thanks,
Dave

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The coverage charts published by the different bottom paint makers usually have a general way to calculate this. Maybe that would be a starting point?

:confused:

Loren in PDX

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'm mystified. If it's a local blister repair-affecting just a portion
of the hull, why do you need a wetted surface calculation?
If it's just a scratch and patch job, most yards quote that
as time and materials. If it's a total redo of the bottom, most
yards quote it at a per foot rate. At any rate, to do an
accurate WS calc, you need the hull lines to tabulate the
half girths before you can do the calculation which isn't
that hard. If this is a negotiating point with the seller,
why not wait until the survey and get a yard estimate
in writing? Just my 2 cents.

Martin

Dave Rummens

Thanks to all for the quick responses.

Actually the survey is already done.

Re: the blistering: What I mean is there is blistering all over; about 5-10/sq.ft. dime to quarter size. I was considering doing individual repairs as opposed to a peel job which is quoted in the SF bay area at around $10K. I am considering holding off and and doing a peel later when I can afford it. I know that is the only way to do it right(so the hull can properly dry.)

It has been repaired once already (bottom paint is gone and old individual repairs are very visible and are popping out.(someone used "red-hand" which my surveyor said does not adhere well.) I am wondering if I should at least repair the failed blister job now followed with a bottom paint job and then just keep an eye on it and pull the trigger for a peel job when the time is right.

The opinions I have gathered are quite varied, -from don't bother as long as they are not very big- to you have to do something about it soon.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
BTW, this is a fantastic site. Gives me great comfort to know there is so much support and information available to a soon-to-be Ericson owner.
Regards,
Dave

Duncan

Member I
peeling blisters

I have just had mine done on our E34 (1990) in Victoria, B.C. and the cost was $7500 CDN. It was peeled down through the top layer of roving on the forward three quarters and down two layers on the stern quarter. It definitely needed it and I was glad that I had it done now. The water had not made it into the loose matt. The roving that was peeled was replaced using vynlester resin. I also had him add a scoop onto the stern (for my walker and wheelchair when I get older), that was a real gamble, but I am extremely pleased. The scoop cost $2000 CDN. The work was done by Bruce McCartney (tel. 250 - 655 - 3731). I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to get camera to talk to the computer.