• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin sole

Blair

I have a '86 Ericson 32 where the cabin sole is not screwed down but appears to be glued. This flooring needs to be replaced (warping, rot, etc). This means a rip/destroy action. Any experiences, do's, don'ts, suggestions for me before I start?:confused:

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I ripped mine out 3 yrs. ago. It was a big pain in the butt. Ericson used an adhesive that I had to chisel out then dissolve with furniture stripper! There are marine ply strips laterally between the floor grid. I replaced these with marine ply saturated with epoxy then glued down teak and holly ply first sealing the back and edge grain with epoxy. I coated the front with Varathane diamond coat but if I did it again I would use "Gym coat" (school gym floor stuff) or a polyurethane such as "Glikka" good luck

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Only suggestion I have is to get everything out of the boat first - except for beer in the reefer - which you'll need as you destroy things. Do the demolition quickly - or you'll lose your spirit... :boohoo:

Also, please take LOTs of pictures and share them with those of use who need to do it as well - but have not had the stomach to do so... :)

//sse

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
How extensive is your damage? I had rot around the mast on my 32-3 extending all the way across the sole, but was able to fix it quite satisfactorily with Git Rot poured into 1/4" holes drilled not quite through the sole and backing plywood. I plugged the holes with teak bungs.

Sailsteve

I have a similar situation on my 1981 E-36 Ron Holland, only one of the previous owners took a hand at reflooring by himself. The thickness of the wood used for flooring is a big issue you should examine before you start. The teak and holly used in my boat is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thinner than the original. I know this because the installed furniture has a slight gap at the bottom. I looked at it carefully and realize that there is infact marine ply underlayment below the teak and holly sole. I think theprevious owner used the wrong thickness marine ply. At some point I am planing to fix this.

Any suggestions about cabin top re-coring, and relplacement of headliner?

Steve

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
In my case the PO let too much moisture into the boat, and mold developed in the wood, beneath the finish - creating black spots. I'm going to attempt to re-finish it this winter - but suspect I'll be taking the same route of ripping it out and replacing it....

//sse