• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Original Owners of E35-3

Mort Fligelman

Member III
It would be interesting to know if there are any owners out there who have had their boats since NEW.....

There are many questions that could be answered concerning average replacement time for many of the items lurking out there just waiting to quit that have not yet done so......

FWIW.....could apply to all of our beautiful Ericsons!

Mort Fligelman

noproblemo2

Member III
We were the original owners of an E-38 1981 until Sept. of last year, sold only due to health reasons. The refrigeration was still original and working quite well as was the engine, with regular servicing of course. Other things we replaced simply because we wanted to.:egrin:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hi Mort,

Wow, it doesn't look like there are very many one owner 35-3's out there. I believe that I am the third owner of ours. It would be interesting to know how many 35-3's were built and for my own interests, how many 1984's. There is one other 84 at our marina and as far as I know we are the only two on Lake Pend Oreille.

Do you know what years the 35-3's were produced and how many per year?

Thanks,

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Second Owner...

FWIW....
We are the second owners of our '88 O-34, purchased from the first owner in 1994.
Unless the quality of my lottery tickets improves a heckova lot, this may be our last boat!
:)
Kidding aside, we do admire the Ericson 38. Situation is... that having been through just about every system on our '88, from keel rebed to replacement of all rigging, I am just not sure that I have one more "full Monty" restoration in me! :)

Looking back, I sometimes wonder where I got the energy to replace both hatches, add another port, upgrade tankage, etc. etc. (and ten more etc.)
Actually, the last tank project is happening right now. I have the factory diesel tank out and am well along on the mock up of a larger one. Next phase will be to generate final plans and have a shop fab one up in aluminum.
Opinion: Over the long run, DIY boat projects are still much better for me than liquor or golf. :rolleyes:

Loren in PDX

ps: there is a darn good reason that so many boats are named "Mistress" ;)

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Kim:

My 87 35-3 was a 2 owner boat.....she was actually commissioned in February of 88.... I purchased her (YES.....the "Mistress" theory is quite appropriate)in February of 06.....

She spent her entire life on Lake Norman, Just outside of Charlotte, NC......a deep man made lake with about 22miles of shore line.....from what I could gather from a few of the locals that I used to make the arrangements to ship her to Florida, the PO's did little on thier own in terms of maintainence and upgrades.....and those that they hired were really not artisans.....to be blunt slobs is more like it....I know this is my last hurrah in terms of bringing a boat up to date that has seen decades come and go. The choice of this boat was a no brainer, as she probably never saw a wave over 2 ft high....and how many hours could be put on the engine with 22 Miles of shoreline.....AND...Always in FRESH WATER......

From what I can gather the 35-3 was built from 82 to 89...how many I have no idea.....the first hull number I know was #111....FWIW

I have the original bill of sale and the original owner paid just under 95M for it with a laundry list of extras.....The boat was 76M...Frt & Commisioning 2.7M...Optional Equip... 10.7M...Sails 3.5M and a laundry list of misc items another 1.4M......2%sales that of 300.00.....he financed 88M of it......

So far I have upgraded the electrical system...sanitary system....sails....and a myriad of misc junk that needed doing.......at my labor rate of $.10 per hour it could rival the national debt......we do not even speak of the new parts outlay.....B U T......with a new boat, comparably equiped we are looking at an excess of 250M.....at my stage of life....Ridiculous...

For me it beats the Golf Course.....bowling, and other mundane activities..

If I can give you any other info beyond these ramblings.....let me know...Like you....this forum has been my lifeline....before and after the purchase.....the help I have gotton just from reading the threads is monumental......

Mort Fligelman
Acapella
1987 E 35-3
Boca Raton, FL

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I am also the 3rd owner of my boat. It is an '85. It was originally equipped for racing and the first owner also faired the keel and rudder. It was originally built with red gelcoat and has since been repainted with red Imron. I am sure this boat saw lots of action unlike Mort's boat. But she was well cared for. Out of all the boats I looked at, this was the only one that was obviously used for racing(deck gear, sailcomp, etc). It is the only boat I made an offer on. All the others were boats that had been neglected for many years. The owner I bought her from did not race nor sail her hard based on some photos I found. I could have kept the boat as is and safely sailed her but I want to make her like new again so I have a long list including stripped/barrier coated hull, new portlights, hatches, water heater, wheel, GPS, sink, faucet, redesigned trash door, holding tank and hoses, cabin sole, fuel tank, refinished interior, sails, standing rigging, running rigging, lifelines, refinished spars, new exterior teak, rebed deck fiitings, etc. The list goes on. I have done a lot of this already and am well into 4 or 5 of those projects right now.