• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin top sail tracks

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My boat came with two 18" sail tracks either side of the cabin top hatch, which puts them just a couple of feet behind the mast,. I have never used them, does anyone know what they are for?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

JMS

Member II
My boat came with two 18" sail tracks either side of the cabin top hatch, which puts them just a couple of feet behind the mast,. I have never used them, does anyone know what they are for?

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

The tracks were a factory option and were used for sheetiing a genoa staysail under a jibtop. The doublehead rig was really effective for close reaching. The 35-2's racked up a lot of distance race wins in the '70's and you could make a pretty good case that the 35-2's racing record was second only to the Cal 40.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Thanks for the replies, but I think we are talking about different sail tracks. I am searching all my files for a picture, which would help me clarify.

There are two sets of eighteen inch sail tracks on the cabin top, one set just a couple of feet behind the mast, the other at the very aft end of the cabin top. The picture of the staysail is using the aft set, I can not figure out what the forward set are for.

My boat also came with a storm jib, which I have never used (not really necessary in San Diego), but only a very small sail would use tracks that far forward - anybody used it to know?

They are in the location a vang would be if I had one, but I have never seen a vang rigged in a manner that would need them.

Morgan - I got back into the country a couple of weeks ago, and have just been to look at the boat. A depressing sight... But I may have time to do something about it now. A bit of a climate shock coming to the Erie canal right now, too.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Cabin top track

The fwd tracks may be for a high aspect #4 or similar heavy air jib-I know we considered using cabin top tracks on the 35-2 "Providence"-or they could be tracks for a smaller high aspect staysail as opposed to the old school genoa staysails that were common when the 35-2 was new.

I am sure it is one of these (or both) things.

Cheers,
S