• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin Sole Replacement - Pick me up off the Floor!

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I'm looking to replace the teak and holly sole in my 88 Ericson 38-200. It's worn in some places, esp at the seams, there's some water damage near the mast and in the galley from the dogs water dish, and some general dings and stuff. So, thinking that I'd rather be using my vacation time for sailing than installing a new sole, not having done something like that before, and wondering if I'd ever be able to get the strips to line up, that I'd hire a professional to do the job. Got my first estimate today -- $7536 - $8160! Plus another $950 in yard fees!:eek:

I was a bit blown away -- is this what I should expect from others? I'll definitely use vacation time if thats the case.

Trucker Doug

Member II
Hey Brian, I'm planning on doing the same thing after relaunching. I was thinking the hull shape might be better in the water than on stands. I read somewhere there is a place near Annapolis, White Hall exotic woods, or something similar, that sells sheets of teak and holly at reasonable prices. Please do post where you buy materials so I'll know who to see.
I don't know where you're docked but I wouldn't mind giving a hand to get a little experience if you want it.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Put your Foot Down!

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=1526&referrerid=28

This long and illustrated thread is why we reverently refer to Geoff as the Viking "Godfather of Sole."
:egrin:

One other note: we were able to remove our sole sections, strip the old oil and dirt, patch some small dings and holes, and varnish and reinstall. If yours is glued down... admittedly that may not work so well for your boat...

Regards,

Loren

Last edited:

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Hey Brian, I'm planning on doing the same thing after relaunching. I was thinking the hull shape might be better in the water than on stands. I read somewhere there is a place near Annapolis, White Hall exotic woods, or something similar, that sells sheets of teak and holly at reasonable prices. Please do post where you buy materials so I'll know who to see.
I don't know where you're docked but I wouldn't mind giving a hand to get a little experience if you want it.

I think you're thinking of Exotic Lumber, on Whitehall Road in Annapolis. I haven't been by there for a couple of years but they had it before, and thats where I'm planning on going back. I've gotten marine grade ply from them, and a teak ply for a bulkhead repair in my previous boat. My boat is in the water now, and its something I wanted to get done in time for spring sailing. Plus I'll need some warmer weather to put down a coating.

I may take you up on the help.

P Abele

Member II
I have a bunch of scraps leftover from replacing the cabin sole on our E33 over the past couple of winters. All told they add up to close to a 4X8' sheet if anyone is interested in defraying my material costs. I am in VT so shipping may make this more trouble than it's worth.

I had the two sheets I purchased delivered by East Coast Hardwoods out of Portland, ME for roughly $200 ea.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I have not done this job before however that price seems a bit like highway robbery. I'm a professional carpenter and specialize in high end interior trim so I think that I could handle it. I'm guessing 40 to 60 hours to complete. Problem with a job like this is the tools are what gets it done. If you don't have them then you will have more trouble and it will take longer. Still, the price seems out of line and I would certainly shop around. I would guess $1800-$2200 in labor and $800 in materials tops. If you are decent with wood do it yourself. RT

escapade

Inactive Member
sole redemption

I replaced the sole on our E34 4 years ago. At that time 18mmX4'X8' teak & holly ply cost $220 per sheet. Needed 2 sheets. Of course EVERYTHING cost more today but I would think it would still be under $500/sheet. Made posterboard templates of the old sole before removing and carefully cut the new pieces using a skill saw w/veneer blade & table saw. Geoff used a router to trim his edges. Both good ways to go. We both posted pictures & step by step on what we did. Very doable if your at all handy with woodworking tools and use a certain amount of patience! Well worth the effort, IMHO. I got my material at Public Lumber in Detroit, Mi. They are on line(www.publiclumber.com) so you can compare prices with whoever is your local supplyier. Feel free to ask if their is anything I can help with.
Have fun & sail fast,
Bud E34 #265 "Escapade":cheers:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Funny to read this post today. yesterday I run into a woodworking guy who says he just looked at an E-38 in Pasadena. Guy's name was Hawkeye I think. Says he cant recall the name of the boat or owners name but I say what do you think it would cost to R&R the cabin sole on my '89 E-38? He says probably near 4K. Was thinking 2 weeks of work. I wonder if its the same guy and if what are the odds? I don't know the guy from adam, just happened to say hi in the parking lot by my shop. Says the E boats are not so bad to do because of the way the sole is laid down with trim on the edges. I'm still thinking 4K is a lot for that job but when you figure someones time to remove, recut, varnish etc. 2 weeks is probably about right. I doubt Exotic is going to be a good source for the Teak and holly. Better bet is Harbor Sales in Sudlersville on the shore. I just ordered a sheet of teak veneer from them today 1/4" for 200. If you are serious about this project I can probably recommend a few other "reputable" carpenters in the annapolis galesville area. No idea on the Hawkeye guy, seemed nice enough but if he quoted you that number...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
DIY thoughts

I admit to being overly "thrifty" sometimes... but I would rather put in a new sole, following the procedures detailed in several earlier threads here, buy the quality tools needed for the job... and then pay myself two or three thousand $$.
:rolleyes:
And then... still have those tools on hand for the next home or boat project.

Just my .01 worth.
Loren

Trucker Doug

Member II
I'm with ya brother. If you can buy all the tools you could possibly need, plan on screwing up 1/2 of the materials, and break even or less. You are ahead of the game. The only exception being you make 1K an hour and don't get vacation time. DYI.

wheelerwbrian

Member III
Funny to read this post today. yesterday I run into a woodworking guy who says he just looked at an E-38 in Pasadena. Guy's name was Hawkeye I think. Says he cant recall the name of the boat or owners name but I say what do you think it would cost to R&R the cabin sole on my '89 E-38? He says probably near 4K. Was thinking 2 weeks of work. I wonder if its the same guy and if what are the odds? I don't know the guy from adam, just happened to say hi in the parking lot by my shop. Says the E boats are not so bad to do because of the way the sole is laid down with trim on the edges. I'm still thinking 4K is a lot for that job but when you figure someones time to remove, recut, varnish etc. 2 weeks is probably about right. I doubt Exotic is going to be a good source for the Teak and holly. Better bet is Harbor Sales in Sudlersville on the shore. I just ordered a sheet of teak veneer from them today 1/4" for 200. If you are serious about this project I can probably recommend a few other "reputable" carpenters in the annapolis galesville area. No idea on the Hawkeye guy, seemed nice enough but if he quoted you that number...

Yeah that was the guy -- he works for Tom Kicklighter. The estimate was considerabley more than 4K, however. I have someone else, closer by, coming over to look who ballparked me a much lower figure. Its the yard shop at Ferry Point Marina, where I haul my boat during the years I'm painting the bottom.

Last edited:

wheelerwbrian

Member III
I'm with ya brother. If you can buy all the tools you could possibly need, plan on screwing up 1/2 of the materials, and break even or less. You are ahead of the game. The only exception being you make 1K an hour and don't get vacation time. DYI.

I tend to agree on all points but with the weather, and my restricted inside work space, I don't have anywhere to do good cutting on a 4x8 sheet of anything especially a valuable sheet of teak and holly. The dining room was vetoed...:confused:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
The dining room was vetoed...:confused:

Too bad...I'll bet the dining room table would have made a good work
bench.

You could do this project easily in a 1 car garage with some basic
tools and a few weekends. If you have more money than time
then commision a pro. Otherwise I'd rather own the tools and
do it myself.

Martin