• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Which GPS?

Desiderata

Member II
Well, Santa didn't bring me the GPS I asked for, despite my claim to have been "good" this year. I consoled myself by saying lumps of coal are MUCH more valuable than they used to be... Actually he did leave a WM gift certificate, so the search for a good value on a GPS unit is on. The local cronies all bark "Garmin Map GS such 'n such". My sister attended the NYC Boat Show this weekend and said the "Lowerance LMS 525c DF seemed a superior value.
We only plan to coastal cruise on Desiderata, our '78 E-27 here in FL. Also, our knot meter and depth finders don't work , so I'm interested in opinions on aquiring a GPS that offers a DF as a feature. This opens up debate re: transom mount transducers vs "shoot thru" types. The "Standard" unit we currently use has a football shaped protrusion under the head on the starboard outside hull, with a digital readout in the cockpit but only works part of the time. We've been advised to sand the bottom paint off of the football and replacing it may need hauling out, making the "shoot thru" option appealing as transom mount will send signals via relatively aft. Anyone?

Mike & Cheri McNulty:egrin:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We bought the Lowrance colour mapping gps (handheld) last year, after looking into the options, and are very pleased with it. While I still use charts as the primary navigation with gps as back-up, my wife prefers the gps and only occasionally looks at the charts (yes, we make a good pair!!). I'm not too "tech-savvy" and find the Lowrance easy to use. It has an easy and an advanced menu, and gives lots of different information. The screen on the Lowrance was larger than any other, good for aging eyes.
Hope that helps you get started in considering your options.
Frank.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Gps

Mike-Both Garmin and Lowrance are reputible companies. I think that Garmin makes gps products that are user friendly and reliable. Lowrance makes a better sounder. Garmins service is awesome, hopefully you will not need that, but it is a value to consider. I wont go into Lowrances service, I think you will get the point.

If you choose a combo-unit, you really cannot use a transom mounted ducer for the sounder. So think in-hull. thru hull set ups.
When you start to compare units side by side. You will find some interesting + and - to each brand. This is where you have to decide what will work for your needs.

Some possible suggestions are Garmin 178C, discontinued unit, but priced right. You will need to add a map card, but still cheaper than the current unit that replaced it. Garmin 440S, pre loaded sounder or the 540s, little larger screen. Lowrances 525 and 527 are decent units.

Handheld units will not be able to have the sounder feature. The 76 series by Garmin are fine pieces of equipment. The H2O's by Lowrance are comparible.

Apples to apples you will find these to companies to be priced closely together. Differences in price that seems large will mean that you are comparing apples to oranges. Dont fear looking into discontinued units, warrianties are still in place, just usually missing a useless bell or whistle.

I think if you take a straw pole, you will find Garmin is the most widely used manufacturer in the recreational boating secter. I have sold many units throughout the years. The key to your purchase is to find one that will work for YOUR needs. What it comes down to are 2 things, can you run it and most importantly is can you see it! Many of units are bought and the user has troubles seeing it. So buy a screen that is friendly to a glance.

Regards,
Rob Hessenius

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have a Garmin that has souder capability but I like the idea of having a separate unit. If my GPS quits and I have to navigate manually, a good depth sounder is an essential piece of gear.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking for resolution

When shopping for a GPS unit to mount outside at the helm, I dug into the specs for quite a few, seeking a high resolution screen. LIke another Ericson owner that provides a lot of help here, I went with a Garmin 3005C.
"The closer I look, the more detail I can see."
:)

I believe that it is 640 X 480 rez.

I am about to add the Garmin depth sounder module to it for this next season... that's about the only data that we feel any need for redundancy for in our sailing areas.

There is a picture of it in place at the helm, elsewhere on this site.

Best,
Loren

newgringo

Member III
I put a Garmin 498 with optional dual range DF in our E32-3. The ducer is a "shoot thru the hull" (no holes!) mounted under the galley sink up by the scupper thru hull valve. Very easy install. Of course the GPS with hard memory data base is wonderful and the sounder works good to 600 feet here in Puget Sound (WA state). The only bad part is that the Garmin built in Tides and Currents is just plain incorrect. Garmin has not helped on this one problem. Otherwise I love this gadget. Great for racing when I want to sneak into shallow water. Lots of choices for this kind of stuff. Will send more info if you want.
Another plus for the Garmin 498 is a bright sunlight readable screen. Easy to read even in direct July sun. I tried Laptops and they just not sunlight readable. Small B & W GPS screens are also too hard to read. I'm sold on this garmin.

Last edited:

GrooveSupply

How's the shallow water alarm on the Garmin systems? My Raymarine 40-series sounder's is worthless do to frequent false triggers seems that even in a few hundred feet of water it will go off if it misses a signal for a second.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Shallow H2O Alarm

GrooveSupply-

I have no problems with mine. I sail in less than 20' of water all the time. I also have a built-in alarm (centerboard strike).

I have never heard of a unit that doesnt give a false read from time to time, but have never heard of it as a common problem with Garmins. Most times the issue is with transom mounted ducers that catch some air bubbles.

Regards,
Rob Hessenius

newgringo

Member III
Shallow Alarm(s) and dual sounders.

My Garmin 498 mentioned in previous post seems to be OK for shallow alarm. At least is gives fewer (can't remember any at all) false than the old Autohelm 200 kHz sounder that can also set for shallow alarm. The Autohelm where the xducer is mounted forward under the V Berth always trips shallow if heeling over whereas the Garmin stays solid so I rely on the Garmin.
On a side note The Autohelm is a 200 kHz sounder and the Garmin is a dual frequency 200 kHz / 50 kHz sounder. Now Garmin advised me that the two 200 kHz units would interfere with each other. Well guess what? They both work just fine working together all the time. Don't ask my why they do, but two years now and both work just dandy. Lucky, huh.