• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

hose below waterline

marcusn

Member II
After replacing my thru hulls and seacocks earlier this fall, I still need to complete some of the in-cabin plumbing on my e27 (yet to be sailed by me) this spring.

There's no reason I can't use good quality hose to attach to a bronze seacock is there?

Specifically, I'm thinking about behind the sink, where the two cockpit skuppers let out of the thru hull.

Thanks all,

Marcus

Glyn Judson

Hoses and clamps.

Marcus, Don and all, As the years have passed and projects and hardware on my boat have gotten attention, I've religiously replaced almost all of the old Ideal style hose clamps with a more superior Swedish made variety. Years ago there were two Swedish companies making almost identical clamps for some reason. Finally one bought out the other (can't remember who) but kept the competitors brand name for more market exposure. The two names are AWAB and ABA. That might have changed since talking to the company rep years ago so either name clamp or just one might still be readily available at your local chandler or on line through West Marine, sadly not at their retail stores. Now here's the story. Why consider these clamps over an American made Ideal style automotive clamp? 1. ABA style clamps have fluted edges on their 316, 100% stainless straps to prevent cutting into the hose. 2. The pitch angle of the ABA's female threads are less radical than that of an Ideal, thereby preventing all tendency for the clamp to work its way loose from vibration over time. 3. Those same ABA threads are not cut entirely through the clamp strap either, they are just dimpled into the strap, again to prevent cutting of the hose beneath such as Ideal clamp threads tend to do. 4. The ABA screw and screw body are 100% 316 stainless, eliminating the oft times observed rust ball that can form in place of an Ideal automotive style screw over time. There's a price to pay for these clamps though, they're about twice the cost of Ideal style clamps but when added to the boat a few at a time, the hit ain't too bad. In talking to the ABA rep, he confided to me that they are so sure about the clamps staying put that for all intents, only one of their clamps is really needed on hose attachments per end below the water line, except for the mind set of needing to religiously double clamp with Ideal style clamps, so the ABA makers don't promote that feature in their advertising. Note to Ideal style clamp users: Periodically check the tension on your below the water line double clamps to assure they aren't vibrating loose. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA.

bigtyme805

Member III
I know the exact clamp Glyn is referring to and they are awesome. I used them in my engine room when I redid all my hoses for the cooling system. They are expensive $7.00 a clamp or maybe even more but well worth it. When I saw how badly the old 316 stainless rusted I knew I needed a change.

jthistle

Member II
Hose?

Are there any hose specs for below the waterline applications? Rubber, PVC, Etc? I am replacing old hose that appears to be marine exhaust hose with the steel coil in it.

Cheers

Jason
'72 E 35-2

chaco

Member III
Different Hoses...Different Uses

Check out the Sheilds Hose Site at www.shieldshose.com :nerd:

Below the waterline engine raw water/cooling hose is rubber with wire spiral to
prevent kinks and take the heat of the engine. Below the waterline drainage
is #148 PVC for Sanitary and Cockpit Scuppers. The Shields Site will fill in
the rest of the information for you :)

Happy Hoses :egrin: :egrin:

hodo

Member III
There is an Ideal style clamp called a Breeze, is available in all stainless, and has a liner. it is made for silicone hose, and while it has the tightening slots in the band, the liner shields it from the hose. it has been in service for years in the auto/truck industry. The reason the Ideal style clamps turn to a ball of rust, the screw is usually steel, not stainless. Look for the stamp that says all stainless. Make sure the hose you use for below the waterline is specified for that use. If it fails, the nice insurance people may not want to play anymore, if it is the wrong stuff.
Harold