• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin heaters - Force 10 kerosene vs Solid

Emerald

Anyone with direct experience with Force 10 Cozy Cabin kerosene heaters? I was seriously considering installing one as in have it on hand for testing and am not sure what to make of it. I am now wondering if I should be looking at a solid fuel heater instead.

The intended use is to extend the sailing season on the Chesapeake, so we're talking 40's - 50's mostly, and some warmth when working on board in winter, say 20's-30's. Figure not sleeping with it, but using it for chilly nights and to warm up the mornings on spring and fall overnights.

I'm really not interested in installing propane for just a heater. Changing out the galley is not in the picture - quite happy with my Origo stove and oven. So, the above got me to looking at kerosene or solid. The Force 10 Cozy Cabin percolated to the top because of a small foot print, a nice small chimney (1 inch) requiring only a 2 inch cut out in the coach roof with a 4 inch pad topsides. All the solid fuel and contained diesel heaters I've seen require a 3 inch chimney with a 5 inch cutout and a 7 inch pad.

Why am I hesitating on the Force 10 - well, don't know what my true comfort level is with the alcohol preheating and open flame nature. The manual calls for burning an ounce or more of alcohol to preheat the burner. At first this didn't bother me, but now that I'm messing around with it, this seems like a lot to sit there and watch burn off. everytime I want to use it. What's the experience been from those who've used these things? What about other flavors of heater like solid - bite the bullet and put in the larger stack?

Of note, I am aware that these specific heaters are not made any longer, but I have managed to find sources for parts to rebuild/replace the burner at reasonable prices.

Thanks for any thoughts

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Been there, done that.

Our previous boat, the Niagara 26, came with a Force 10 bulkhead kero ("cozy") heater. It provided more than enough heat for the interior of a 4K# displacement pocket cruiser.
Being a traditionalist, the first owner had also equipped the boat with a two burner Optimus Chichester model cooker. All these burners needed to be pre-heated "just so" with alcohol, after pumping up the kero tank to the proper minimum psi. Starting up was quite a "ritual."

Operation was... tricky. After many a yellow-flame and copious soot-on-headliner episode, the admiral prevailed on me to convert the boat to propane.
I sold off the old Force 10 and found a deal on a new Force 10 propane heater.
The cooker was replaced also. Very Worthwhile project, IMO.

The older Force 10 had some advantages over newer bulkhead heaters, like the petite ss one inch stack size. All exhaust vents to the outside, along with the soot if you use kero(or diesel) fuel and have a flare up.

On the down side, it is an open flame, and has to be watched. Those burners will slowly carbon up (i.e. clog) the jet over long hours of operation. Cleaning will require fiddly dissasembly and ability to swear in Swedish.
Like all "point sources" of heat you will need nearby fans to move the heated air around. Your feet will still be very cold while your head is sweating...
It is way better than no heat at all, but with these caveats. :rolleyes:

A bicycle pump is often used to presurize the kero tank, and will have to be re-pumped after the heater is run for a while.

Opinions rendered while U wait, deposit .02 please,
Loren
:)

ps: here is one far sale today on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Heat...ryZ26449QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

noproblemo2

Member III
I would have to go with the Force 10 propane, on our E-38 it worked very well and in a short time frame the entire boat was cozy.

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Cabin Heater Options

David,
I've been troubling with the same debate, and I had gone as far as acquiring a Dickenson Diesel Heater (with fan) and accessories.
When I discussed the logical location of installation with my significant other that created a problem."Not on my bulkhead" she replied! Seems I hadn't considered where she sat to read and that Port Fwd. bulkhead was the only practical place to install the "Newport"
On to "Plan B" now, I've disposed (eBayed off) the diesel Heater and have now acquired an Espar forced air machine. It will mount aft and outboard, completely out of sight. Has multiple power levels up to I think it's 7000 btu and should do the do nicely. No messy start-up, thermostatically controlled, quick heat and lots of it and no holes in the coach roof. Burns diesel, so no new fuel to introduce and although it uses 12v to power the pump, burner/ fan motor it's apparently quite effecient.
The Espar is not new, just new to me, has been serviced and tuned up and should be good for years.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
David I am in favor of Gregs solution here as being optimal. You don't have propane on the boat now so to add it just for the heater seems silly. Unless you are going to convert the galley too ($$$). Kerosene, Alcohol, or solid fuel (coal), stoves will require cutting holes and installing stovepipes as well as each systems' shortcomings regarding maintenance, mess, and safety issues. Solid fuel stove would probably be easiest and cheapest but has its own issues of ash and hot embers to deal with. The Espar units are the best but they are not cheap and the install will require some work routing the air ducts, supplying power to the unit, installing the unit, providing fuel and possibly a return line, as well as dealing with the units exhaust. Espar install has been covered pretty well on this site, so if you go that route there is Ericson help available. OTOH for the amount of time you will use the unit you may want to go with solid fuel. You could set up the deck opening with a cover plate to install in the summer and only install the stove in the fall. If you are not talking about live aboard conditions and simply want a toasty cabin for a few winter sails go solid fuel. If you have the $$ and time Espar is the best.

Jon Anton

Cabin Heating

It's cold even in Carolina now, and some heat is important! For the number of times that I need heat, I have found that a portable propane heater fits the bill. We use a "Mr. Heater" from Lowe's hardware, ($75,-), and the disposable cylinders are about $2.50 a piece, lasting about 4-5 hours. We don't sleep with it on, and because the tip-over-switch is so sensitive, you can't really use it underway. But at anchor, it will glow with a nice "ambiance", and even at temperatures around freezing, the low setting is enough for our 32. At the dock, we sometimes use a ceramic heater.
The price is right, and no installation headaches. But I have to admit, if money and space was not a problem, I would opt for a Wallas or Espar. These will give dry heat, something that would be very good.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
solid fueled Force 10 cabin heater

My Ericson an 86 E 30+ Eden # 720 has a solid fueled force 10 , burns dried corn cobs, charcoal brickets. pressed two logs , great heat , great looks,
very comfortable heat I also tried to send a J peg but it bounced back. If
you are going to Rendezvous 08, I'll be glad to show it off and any other improvements I have made to the E30+ interior including drawers and where I put them .

Further on Rendezvous 08 .The Victoria Disabled sailing association will host a race for us off the Victoria water front for a donation of $10.00 per boat and the Canadian Forces Sailing Accociation will supply moorage at fifty cents a foot.for 30 Ericsons A steak dinner for seven dollars and the use of the clubhouse . the bar will be open (Military Mess prices). So if we are going to take them up on this offer we should act soon , like now . Those taking part in the race stay at CFSA Friday Night. Ten am start Saturday morning 4 hr. race off the water front course TBA . steak dinner in the club, and libations , prizes . Those non racers who are staying in Victoria"s Inner Harbour we will get you to the club house for dinner some how. Depending on
how maney boats leave for their club cruise and go racing at other locations there could be room for over 40 boats THere also is good anchorage in Esquimalt Harbour by Coal Island ,Stewart please phone me and we can worik out the logistics.
:egrin: Charles Pash 1 250 478 3669 or cell # 1 250 888 4503

Kim Schoedel

Member III
We have the Espar. Very pleased with it. Real easy for the Captain (my wife) to operate with a flip of a switch. When overnighting, we just turn it on and set the thermostat before bed and as the temp goes down during the night, it comes on and does the job. Nice to have the two heat registers, one in the main cabin under the starboard seat and the other in the v-berth.

Once you get spoiled with a forced air furnace, you will find it difficult to go back.

Cabin heat

Hi Dave,

Just for your edification, a "Mr. Heat with a 20# propane tank kept out job trailer(7'x20') in Council Bluffs, Ia. (daytime temp. was about 20 deg. F.:eek:) nice and toasty for about 30-36 hrs. but watch out for CO poisoning. A CO monator would be advisable with any heater you go with,IMHO.

Better yet. Just go south until the butter melts and forget about a cabin heater altogether.:newwink:

Fair winds

Chad

P. S. We were working in a power plant and were next to about 30 acres of coal and all the electricity we could ever use and yet we bought LP...go figure.:)

Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Heater

We have been very pleased with our Force 10 Heater on our E27. It has done just what you wanted, extended our sailing season and to take the chill out of the air while at anchor in the cold, wet season and to warm up the cabin while underway. Here is a pic.
KJ

Attachments

• Heater.jpg
    Heater.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6,491

Emerald

Thanks to everyone for their input. The different experiences are helpful in sorting this out. If I were doing extensive time on board in the cold, sounds like the forced air systems are hard to beat. Given where I am (Chesapeake) and what I am up to, I am going to go with one of the Dickinson Newport solid fuel heaters. They seem to get good marks from everyone I've talked to with experience with them, and the admiral likes the fireplace aspect ;)

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Catching up on my X-Mas Stocking reading

David,

Quite a good article in the Nov/ Dec. '07 issue of "Ocean Navigator" on diesel cabin heaters if you can locate a copy.