• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Specifications/Dimensions for Portlight Glass

ctaylor68

I will be replacing the glass on many of my opening and fixed portlights on a 1990 ericson 38 (Just purchased in the last few weeks). The boat is a fair distance away so taking out the glass and cutting to fit is logistically difficult. I was hoping to have the glass cut prior to travelling back to the boat in the early spring. Does anyone know the make and model of opening and fixed portlights in an ericson 38-200 - 1989 model year. I have a template from lewmar, but I am not sure of the exact model, and am not 100% sure they are Lewmar. Also, does anyone have recommendations on lexan versus acrylic, and what thickness of material.

I have seen a few people completing similar work on E-27. Very informative. Based on this I am leaning to Lexan.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I know on the 35s they used both Bomar and Lewmar. My boat has Bomar opening ports and I believe the fixed ports were built by Lewmar. Some of the boats have Lewmar opening portlights though. Also, in order to replace the glass in my fixed lights, the whole unit needs to be removed from the boat. Mine are tempered glass so they look like new although the frames are a little beat up. I plan on replacing all the opening portlights with Bomars and have Bomon build custom fixed lights.

jthistle

Member II
acrylic v.s. Lexan

I'd go with Acrylic...Less expensive, more scratch resistant and unless you planning on sailing in weather that would take a portlight out - the strength is up to the task. There are threads on this - do a search and digest the info.

my 0.02

cheers

Jason