• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

9 loop deck hand rails

rod sanburn

Member II
I need to replace the 9 loop deck rails on my E-27. they where terrible shape when i bought the boat 2002. I refinished them and rebedded, but they have served the old girl well. I have checked the web found a few sources, but I wonder if any owners have found the exact replacement ones? Let me know. Thanks for your time. Rod S

Mike & Dawn

I ended up making new handrails myself. I was unable to find any pre-made that matched the bolt pattern in the deck. It also ended up being the most cost effective. Mike

DevinWalker

Inactive Member
I'm looking at the same thing. My boat has non-skid "stickers" where the rails would have been mounted. I'm told that's the way the boat came . . .

At any rate I'd like to install a few rails.

rod sanburn

Member II
9 loop rails

Devin,
pyatch.net have teak and mahogany up to 9 loop. Mine are through bolted to the internal rails and bedded w/5200. The internal are different sizes because of the bulkhead on the starboard.http://www.pyacht.net/ Rod

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
choices, options

Devin, Since some of the largest production sailboat builders in the US are in the southeast... and they all have contracts for many different length handrails with their SS fab shops (either in house or sub contract)...
Figure out what length and loop spacing you prefer and could live with, and give 'em a call.

i.e. You might want to consider "going over to the dark side" (as an owner here used to call it) and putting on SS rails.
What with the hassle of refinishing teak regularly, I know that if we ever break a rail, we WILL replace both with SS! :rolleyes:

And then, with a 30 year old boat, you are probably going to have to epoxy in the old holes and redrill/overdrill/epoxy-fill/final drill again for each hole anyway. Some spot gel coat refinishing of the cabin top will be in order, no matter what.

Jus' sometin' to consider...
:confused:

Loren

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Don Casey's book "This Old Boat" describes how to make pairs of replacement handrails with a hole saw (ie, drill attachment) and a jigsaw. It doesn't look very difficult.

I took my old teak rails off several years ago, backfilled the holes with epoxy, and haven't replaced them yet. I don't have handrails on the inside, but I sure would like to add them.

If I were to install inside handrails that bolt through the cabintop to outside handrails...how would I drill a hole like that at the correct angle? From outer edge to outer edge of the the inner and outer handrails, it must be a 6-8 inch distance through two angled faces--the top of the overhead from the inside, and the deck from the outside.

Even with a portable drill press I don't see how one would get the angle right.

Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Handrail replacement

I will keep watching this tread too. My handrail both in and out on the port side have some dry rot in them and I have a slight leak as a result. I hope to make that one of my early summer projects. If someone finds a good match for an E27 please chime in. I am pretty well set up in my woodshop to make them if necessary but would like to find something off the shelf if possible.
KJ

Dave Hussey

Member III
Loren wrote: "And then, with a 30 year old boat, you are probably going to have to epoxy in the old holes and redrill/overdrill/epoxy-fill/final drill again for each hole anyway. "
Loren,
do you know of any links to postings (preferrably with pictures) of projects that use this technique???
I have tried searching for enlightenment on this process (on this website and elsewhere) unsuccessfully.
Thanks!
DH

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
surrounding those threads...

Dave,
West System Epoxy now has their basic manual posted on their web site.
Go to http://www.westsystem.com/
Then, click on User Manual .
Then, scroll down quite a ways, to "Bonding fasteners and hardware"
Read and save out the text and illustrations for "Advanced Fastener bonding" and "Bonding hardware."

And...as they might still say in the UK, Bob's your uncle!
:)

Not boating related, but I just did this for a couple of household locksets where the stricker plates needed to be moved 1/4", after over three decades of wood shrinkage and a wee bit of settling of the whole structure...

Worked like a charm, if I do say so.

Regards,
Loren