• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

gelcoat

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I think I have a layer of dark blue under the (white) gelcoat on my 1976 E27. Does that sound right? It looks like a fender may have rubbed through the gelcoat exposing a dark blue layer.

Thanks.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My E29 is blue gel coat over white below the waterline. So I guess that yours could be laid up with the blue on the inside.

Fenders can destroy the side of the boat they are meant to save.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
It is most likely that the stripe down the side below the rub rail was done in gel coat from the factory. the would have masked off the stripe, sprayed in the white gel coat, removed the mask, then shot in the blue.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
That is the norm. My boat has been painted above the waterline. I just removed about an 1/8" of bottom paint to get to the blisters and the gel coat to repair, barrier coat and anti foul. At the Waterline I can tell that the boot stripe and hull were both gel coat.

rgoff

Member III
I have the same "blue" showing through a bit on my '73 E27 where the fenders have rubbed the white hull. My boat has the original gelcoat. I'm not a boat maker so I don't know what the blue is, but it indicates the outer white gelcoat has been rubbed away.