• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

info on muffler E34

rhewitt

Member II
After getting parts to rebuild the engine it now seems we need a new MUFFLER too.
Has anyone replaced a OE (heavy cast muffler) one and if so what did they use and how was it done...
This is on a Universal M-25XP in a 1988 E-34...
Come on Guys I need some help here, all I can find is fiberglass new type and they look as if they will not fit and or have the right input/outlet.
Where can I go to get info (web site / email ). need drawings or pictures of how to and such.

thanks to all,

Ralph

Glyn Judson

Muffler replacement.

Ralph, Been there, done that. I replaced that old cast pipe (really 6" pipe with welded ends) with a Vernalift. The original was screwed to a plywood platform glassed to the hull aft of the engine. I ripped it all out to start anew and was horrified at what was under this platform. It was raw plywood smack-dab glued to the boat and all kinds of dirt, stainless hardware and slimy goo was under the rotted underside. I cleaned the area and painted it bilgecoat gray before cutting a piece of 3/4" plywood with chamfered edges to fit the same place with about 1/4" to 1/2" air space beneath it. Then it was off to the garage where it got fully coated with three applications of West System 105 and back to the boat where I glassed it in place and made sure it was level and still had that air space. After the glass cured, I painted the new muffler shelf as well. The Vernalift folks make really cool fiberglass elbows and I used one of these immediately down stream of the muffler outlet in order to properly angle the hose to the exhaust transom flange. I also put three or four sacked Nylon washers under the four screws I attached the muffler to the wood with. That way I can occasionally direct a garden hose back of there to flush dust, dog hair and whatever out and under both the platform and the muffler and keep everything clean as a whistle. Lots of time and money but no more rusty water at engine start up. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA