Sailing Across the Gulf of Mexico

chtaylor

Member II
Looking toward the future and retirement in four more years, I'm thinking of having my 1977 E32 trucked from California to either Texas or Louisiana and then sailing across the Gulf of Mexico to the port of Progreso on the northern tip of the Yucatan Peninsula. My wife is from Merida and we plan on retiring there.

Has anyone here made such a trip? If so, what are your thoughts on leaving from Texas vs. Louisiana; how long should the trip take; and, what time of year is optimal? Also, what problems/obstacles would be encountered?

Thanks,
Charles

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Is my memory worse than I thought or are there tax complications when you move a boat into Mexico? In four years I might be available to crew on a trip like that if you need help. My plans are the Eastern Caribbean in my E29

kevin81

Member II
Charles,
I have not made that trip, but my recommendation would be to leave from Texas, either Galveston or Corpus Christi. Either departure port it's a straight shot. Several of my (now former) boating neighbors from the Clear Lake area (25 miles up Galveston Bay from Galveston) have left for long cruises to the Yucatan and then south. Leaving from LA is a longer sail and there not as many pleasure boating areas and outfitting sources as there are in TX.

Also, on even number years (2008) there is a race from Galveston to Veracruz (in the Bay of Campeache). This not where you want to get to, but it could be a way to sail with others across the Gulf.

Kevin

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Charles,
Have you considered sailing south first, past Baja, then east to mainland Mexico?:cool: There may be a Mexican trucking operation who could take your boat across to the gulf of Mexico. I have read of an operation from San Carlos (mainland coast of the Sea of Cortez), north through AZ to return boats to CA. Maybe there is something from Puerto Vallarta or Guadalajara across the mainland? It might be a lot cheaper that way, too. More sailing, though. The best time to do this would be to depart San Diego with the Baja Haha fleet that sails south on or about Halloween every year.