• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E29 Shift Cable Clamp

Eli B.

Recently purchased 77 E29. On first trip out while shifting from reverse to neutral to forward, motor stuck in reverse, regardless of lever position. Got back w/ a little help from local Marina (How to manually shift). I checked out the cable seems solid on eng side, I can see the cable/jacket moving from under the pedestal. I removed the compass and the cable's attached at the lever, I'm guessing a clamp is loose/broke in the pedestal. My question is how is the cable fastened? and is there anything tricky about disassembly/assembly of the pedestal. The bolts under the compass on the top section of the pedestal look seized.

Thanks,
Eli

maggie-k

Member II
Replaced the shift cable on my e-29 a couple months ago . To get to the clamp in the binicle you need to dissasemble it to the height of the shift levers . Remove the clamp and cable from the bracket at the transmission end and push it upward. The clamp is attached to an aluminum bar aprox 1x6x1/4 inches , One end is bolted to the Binicle the other has a bracket and clamp for the cable . It is a real PITA to work on . The weld broke joining the cable bracket to the bar on mine making the clamp useless.
The existing cable was for a atomic-4 which was way to heavy for my Yanmar. The heavy cable is also very expensive and hard to work with. If you don't need it replace it with a lighter one . You can easily drill the u bolt clamps for a lighter cable into the bar in the binicle and in the bracket at the transmission. Shifts really nicely now too.

Eli B.

WOW, I think I saw that bar you are talking about. when I took the compass off and moved lever, I could see the top of the bar moving with the cable. It actually hit the lever block and acted as a mechanical stop. I'll look into a lighter cable. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Eli

maggie-k

Member II
Glad to be of help. Here's a tip when you run a new cable reroute it to run directly under the Binacle by drilling a hole and pass it threw to the quarter birth along the port wall drill another hole threw the floor of the quarter birth in line with the one above , This wll come out behind the battery box . The new cable can be run under the box to the cable bracket with one smooth long curve in the cable rather than the convouluted path of the original, This makes the shifting a whole lot easier and put less stress on the cable.

Eli B.

Good idea thanks, I've got to admit I'm so eager to get back out on the water, without getting a little help here I would have taken the path of least resistance for sure.

Thanks