• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Abbreviation/acronym List

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
With all these acronyms flying around on the internet blogs I partake in I am often lost with many of these abbreviations I find.

Example IMHO = "In my humble opinion." or AFAIK = "As Far As I Know"

Here are just a few I found amusing:

LAMDILLIGAF = "Look At Me, Do I Look Like I Give A F---?"

MARINE = "My Ass Riding In Navy Equipment" or "Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential"

WCTYBTWHTKY = "We Could Tell You, But Then We'd Have To Kill You"

Here is just one of the many lists I found on line.

THE CANONICAL ABBREVIATION/ACRONYM LIST

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/abbrev.html

How hard is it to just spell it out?

:confused:

sleather

Sustaining Member
10,000 Giga-bytes?

OYDTMWD, Obviously You Don't Text Message While Driving!:p

THAT(not) LIST(not) was last updated in 2004, OMG, how big is it now?

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I don't even text while I am sailing. My fingers are too big for text messaging. I don't use my cell for anything but making phone calls and taking the occasional fuzzy photo.

;)

sleather

Sustaining Member
Text Message?

HDYTM How Do You Text Message?:confused:

So...... was SNAFU the "origin of the species"?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

SAILSHIGH

Member III
Snafu And Fubar

I have watched to much TV where it has to do with WW2. I know that these are the best known sentace shortners and my personal favorite.

My brother works for a computer company and SNAFU is how they roll.

I work in sales and everyday could get FUBAR.

God bless our military. Keeping it simple for all of us.

Good Sailing and solid wind,

u079721

Contributing Partner
RANT Alert!

This rant does not directly apply to this thread, since it seems that the term has been used correctly here....BUT here is my rant anyway.

An acronym is a WORD formed by the initial letters of a phrase or title. So "IMNSHO" is an abbreviation (actually an "initialism") - but NOT an acronym, even though you will see this type of abbreviation in lists of "acronyms" all the time.

SNAFU, FUBAR, RADAR, AIDS - these are acronyms. IBM, YMMV, IIRC are not.

Admittedly this is not a distinction of earth shattering importance, but I see people getting it wrong all the time, and it BUGS me. (Blame it on my upbringing by my librarian mother and university professor father.)

Rant over.

Mindscape

Member III
Easy

Easy Steve........:egrin:

Now - what is it that makes something a word???? Does it have to be in the dictionary? Does that mean at one time RADAR was an abbrieviation and then RADAR became a word, or was it a word from the start? This could get confusing and I don't want to confuse my acronym's with my abbreviations...

u079721

Contributing Partner
Easy Steve........:egrin:

Now - what is it that makes something a word???? Does it have to be in the dictionary? Does that mean at one time RADAR was an abbrieviation and then RADAR became a word, or was it a word from the start? This could get confusing and I don't want to confuse my acronym's with my abbreviations...

Since you asked.....I would say if you can pronounce it as a word, then it is a word - even if it is made up (as with FUBAR). If you just pronounce the letters in sequence, then it ain't a word, and therefore it can't be an acronym. FEMA, a word. FBI, a series of letters.

(There is nothing at all wrong with making up new words to refer to new concepts. But I am old school enough to object to new definitions for existing words. Remember when gay meant happy or lighthearted? But I digress..... ;)

Of course there are gray areas. Where I used to work the abbreviation for stock keeping unit was SKU, and pronounced as Ess, Kay, You. But where I now work they pronounce it as "skew". So formerly it was not an acronym, but now it seems to be.

All of which has nothing to do with boating or Ericsons. I just took the opportunity of seeing the term acronym on my favorite board to do a little ranting. Since the term acronym is almost always incorrectly used to refer to abbreviations that are initialisms (IBM) and not actually words (RADAR) you will all now be in a position to (politely) correct the next person you encounter who misuses the term.

Now for our next pedantic lecture………(my professor father would have been so proud!)

Last edited:

Kevin Johnston

Member III
Corner of Bohica and Fubar

One of my best friends, Captain Tate, who was a member of the Washington National Guard on the corner of BOHICA (Bend Over Here It Comes Again) and Fubar Ave in Kuwait on his way to Baghdad. Got to love these military acronyms.

Find his book on line at www.emailsfrombaghdad.com, it is a complulation of his daily emails and his photographic journalism all across Baghdad. He was standing behind the 50 cal gunner in a humvee but was manning a digital camera for the year he was there. He worked for media relations.
KJ

Attachments

• Tate Bonica Snafu.jpg
    Tate Bonica Snafu.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
BOHICA = perfect name of boat with crappy PHRF rating...

we have a local IRETSU boat (I Really Eat This Sh*t Up)...