• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Has anyone done extended cruising with an E35?

Frers 33

I'm wondering if there is adequate storage for months worth of food? Was the boat comfortable for an extended period in various wind and wave conditions? Thanks in advance.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup

I'm wondering if there is adequate storage for months worth of food? Was the boat comfortable for an extended period in various wind and wave conditions? Thanks in advance.

Speaking in general... There will be *ample* room for food. Reason is that people have been crossing big oceans in boats with much less displacement for decades. The Albin Vega (27 feet), PSC Flicka (20 feet),the Hallberg-Rassy 31, and of course the Cascade 29.
This is going to depend entirely on what any small crew decides they "need." Somewhere in the chow spectrum between multiple cases of Top Ramen... and huge freezers full of lobster and Kobe beef steaks... is a compromise that any of us can be comfortable with... I betcha.
:)
Since the classic E-35-2 has lots of ocean use and commentary about its good motion in a seaway I would expect it to be very comfortable. The later E-35-3 has a great underwater shape for taking seas gracefully -- far more so than the current batch of ultra-wide flat bottom condo-boats offered for sale, IMHO.

Loren

Last edited:

Ray Rhode

Member III
A couple of years ago Nancy and I spent a month on Journey (E35-III). It was coastal cuising and we did stop at a couple of marinas. We used mostly on board provisions and could have made due with the on board water.

One variable is where you plan to cruise. If you are going well off shore and will not have ready access to help you will need to use more of your storage space for spares and tools. We were never more than 100 miles off shore so we felt comfortable with minimal spares.

While crossing the Gulf from Carabellle to Clearwater we had a full night of 20-25 knots on the port quarter. It was uncomfortable but we never even close to being over our heads. We have ST6000+ A/P and it held course better than we could hand steer. Even though the E35 has a fin keel it tracked very well.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
35-III, #189