• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rebuild Universal M-25XP...

rhewitt

Member II
Howdy folks,

Finely got the paper work on boat (E-34-2 1988) here in Nicaragua just in time for the SW storms & swells and storms. Now that things have lightened up a bit it was time to start the engine and have a go at the coast.

The start up went bad as the starter battery was 5 years old to the month of Oct. when Chris & Beth had left San Deagio on their way down.

Was able to get a group 31 starter battery in Managua and then found a ground cable that had worn more than in half from rubbing on the transmission linkage... repalced that too.

It started and shook, clanked & died! Restart after restart it would only make funny nosies and then die... would not go past an idle. Came home and read all the books on Diesel engines and it all pointed to bad fuel and or water in fuel. The next day with a machanic in tow we bleed, changed all filters and checked valves. About an inch of sand and crud in the bottom of the main filter glass said it all.
It seems he has a feild day after the 8-10 ft. swells for two months in our harbor as the boats go up and down so does all the stuff in the fuel tanks and then it is like pouring sand and stuff into the engine... the oil was like, well you can just see it now.

After taking it all apart and cleaning what he could it still would not start using clean fuel from a bucket. He did a compression check and says not enough to fire the fuel. With the head off there was a lot of play of the pistions and carbon build up too. the crank shaft moved with a clank in&out by pushing on the front pully, and he could spin it freely by hand.

That afternoon with another person for a second look he too said overhaul, major rebuild

These tow Guys are super machanics, you can not belive what they work on and keep running down here. So getting them both togeather it was decided to take it all apart and pull it out in pieces and rebuild.

They are now taring it down and making a list of needed parts.

Does this sound to any of you like what should be done...?

My problum is there is NO universal dealer for parts in Central Amicerca.

I have down loaded the parts list from torresen and can any one tell me is there a better way to do this?

When living in Dallas TX I was able to get water pump and some other stuff from the KOBOTA dealer there... should I contact them?

I need some input of where to turn... some have said buy a rebuilt one, where?

less than 3000 hours on it and now this.

Help,
Ralph

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow...

With the usual 20-20 hindsight...
Was the engine oil level up to or near the mark on the dipstick before this startup attempt?
Moving forward, it sounds like you need to rebuild the lower end. I hope that the head and valves are OK.
That engine is a marinized Kutota short block. Somewhere on this site is a guide to which Kubota block model was used, and we can only hope that there is a dealer somewhere near with parts for a rebuild.
Keep us posted.
Best,
Loren

chaco

Member III
Forget the Rebuild...BUY NEW

Rebuilt UNIVERSAL Marine Engines do not exist.
Rebuilding is as expensive as NEW.
Rebuilt ShortBlocks do exist....these are small tractor engines :rolleyes:
Save yourself the HEADACHES and buy NEW.
Get ready to spend $10,000 if you install it yourself and $20,000 installed.
I installed a Beta 902 myself and have the Invoices to prove the REAL costs.
Do not be FOOLED by imitators :nerd:

Happy Auxilliary :egrin: :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just got back from a visit to the local Universal dealer to buy a replacement oil filter for our boat.
And... Sitting there on the floor: a New M-25XPB with trans and panel, complete, on a pallet... just a little over $7K.
FYI.

Of course we are a fair bit of distance away from San Juan del Sur....
:)

Loren in PDX

Last edited: