• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ Pedestal Removal

bigtyme805

Member III
Has anyone removed the depth/knot meter-white big metal panel? I am looking on dumping this but I do not want to replace unit just get rid of it. My thoughts are to have a U shaped stainless there. It may be already there or I may need to cut this and have the U shape welded on. any help on this matter would be great.

I do not want to replace with new Edson, plus I have the 12-1/4 inch width and they do not make anymore.

I have attached a picture, also I think the 28+ has same unit.

Attachments

• DSC00090.jpg
    DSC00090.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 94

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Modify vs Replace

When I had the legs of my existing guard lengthened, the shop owner told me that if he had the right diameter mandrel for his bender, he would have used new tubing and bent it himself. If he had been in a position to solve my problem this way, the total cost would have been a wash.

In your situation, saving the legs would involve bending a half circle of tubing for the new top of the guard and then welding both sides.

If you have some marine ss fab shops in your area, they could advise you which is best for you, IMO.

Best,
Loren

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I'd rather spring for new tubing-the material costs wouldn't be too
bad and you would have a cleaner result.

Martin

sleather

Sustaining Member
Grab Bar

You COULD just splice a new upper U w/ a standard 90* T and also create a guard/grab bar above the "beverage center"JMHO

Last edited:

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
yep- that's what I did. 2 90's and a short length of ss tube. Not the prettiest but quick and hella strong...

Cory B

Sustaining Member
We have the same white cast aluminum instrument panel that you have. There are two stainless legs (its not a single curved piece - so if you want that you'll have to buy or fabricate it) that are attached to it with a pair of set screws. If you remove the set screws (and the corrosion isn't too bad) it should just slide up and off.

We debated getting rid of ours as well, but we ended up shortening the legs, repainting it, mounting a chartplotter on top of it, and attaching a curved "guardrail" above it to give it some protection. "Navpods" and similar were just too expensive.

- Cory

Last edited:

bigtyme805

Member III
Cory,

Exactly what I was looking for, getting that big piece of metal off without incident is my biggest issue. I am going to boat today to map out project. I have to find someone to weld the tubing and fabricate for me in the Channel Islands area. Any helpful hints would be great. Once I get this done I will look to add instrument panel, possible Navpod or Edson. This will cover up weld points.

Cost of instruments is biggest expense.

Has anyone done this project?