• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Last Race of the Season

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Did the Leukemia Cup race up the bay to Baltimore saturday. Pouring rain up to 10 minutes prior to the start then 15-20 from the NW with sun for the rest. Had a lousy start (downwind) but managed to eek out a 3rd in our division. Had 9 guys on the rail with the 150 and at points 2 reefs in. There were times when I was still overpowered but my meter was only showing gusts to 23 apparent. Had good speed and height over many other race boats including a j-29, Omega 36, Baltic 35. Got beat by less than a minute by a modified taylor 38 (99 rating) and a modified cambria 40 (123 rating). Oh the sweetness was blowing the doors off a C&C 110 (66 rating) upwind who started 10 minutes ahead. Passed him upwind in the heaviest air of the day with height and speed. He had a reefed main and a #2 up. I'm not sure what he was doing wrong and maybe he caught a baltimore harbor shopping cart or trash bag on the keel but it was great passing him. Results are here:

http://www.bcya.com/hcup/2007BHLCResults.htm

Hauling the boat in 3 weeks and probably wont race it next year but it sure was fun to end the year with a little silver.

Some photos to be found here I think:

http://www.bcya.com/

1973E29 TUG

Member I
Ahh my old stomping grounds... Fond memories of the Bay

Congratulations on a race well raced...

Enjoyed seeing the photos of Ft McHenry, Fells Point, and the Inner Harbor. Some things sure have changed around there. I do miss it...

I used to live in Federal Hill (on the inner harbor) Kept my old boat (a J24) in Canton then moved it to Crownsville just up the Severn River.

Now I own an E29 which I race (and cruise) in Tampa Bay. Our racing season is just getting started down here.

Great sailing on the Chesapeake I definitely miss it!

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Fall sailing is great on the Chesapeake. We get these big highs that roll through and the breeze goes around to the NW and cranks up to 20-25kts for a few days. Only down side is it sometimes blows all the water out of the bay and makes it hard to get in and out of my harbor. (sandbar). Boatpix was out for the race so hopefully they got some good shots of us. I wish they posted the pictures online instead of having to haver them mailed only to find out they shots suck. Baltimore harbor is really a mess with trash these days. Lots of bags, needles, condoms, and soda bottles floating around. Plus the smell is absolutely foul. This year the week prior to the race saw heavy rains which washed a lot of crap down the Patapsco river making the sailing challenging. We had to dodge refridgerators, telephone poles with spikes sticking out and large timbers with nails.

1973E29 TUG

Member I
Yuck

Now that you mention it... I do remember all the garbage that would roll out of the storm drains into the inner harbor after a good rain.

You would think that Baltimore would figure out how to keep all that junk out of the harbor. Especially now that the Inner Harbor has become such a focal point for tourism for the city...

Overall I have heard that the bay has been cleaned up alot in the last 10 to 15 years.

Enough about garbage lets get back to the thread...

We also raced the Leukemia Cup down here in St Petersburg, FL about 3 weekends ago. A great race for a good cause. We ended up first in our Spinnaker C division. Though I have to admit... it was the points given for the fundraising that put us on top.

We raced well, I still have a pretty green crew and it was our first race using the spinnaker. I was very happy with our results and the crew had a good time. We'll claw our way to the top of the fleet over time and then the vicory will be even sweeter.

Links to the SPYC Leukemia Cup:

http://www.spyc.org/club/scripts/view/view_clubannouncement.asp?pg=PR&GRP=5564&AID=37034&NS=PR&APP=58

http://theleukemiacupregatta2007.snapfish.com/snapfish

password is: suncoast