• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wind Vane, Speed Impeller, Engine work and getting the table post loose

PkandLisa

As you can tell from the list of items in the subject line I'm tackling a range of issues.

I'm the new and proud owner of Galileo, an Ericson 35-3. She's currently on the hard and I'd like to take care of a few things before I launch her (I know, it's mid October, but I just bought it!).

First issue is the speed impeller. It's so fouled up that it doesn't spin very well. I would like to connect a new one, but don't know the make and model of this one. I'm assuming it's the orginal:confused: but I don't know. The readout gauge says it's a Horizon and is also labeled "Standard" and the model is SL-1. Can anyone point me in the right direction for either:
- unfouling the existing impeller
- OR buying a new impeller (the piece that goes in the water if I have the name wrong here)

The second issue is the wind vane. I have a vane that mounts at an angle on the top of the mast. Again, there's no brand name on this piece and the gauge says "Standard" model WS-1 (no Horizon on this one). I will attempt to attach a picture tommorrow. There are two parts to this - the top part is a vane, the bottom part is two arms with "cups" at the end. Both appear to indicate wind direction only - so I'm confused - why the two parts? Is the vane simply a visual and the cups are the electronic piece? Also, the gauge appears to show wind direction and speed, so if these are both direction, where does the apparent wind speed reading come from? So, I could use some advice on:
- who's the manufacturer (again, I'm assuming this is original)
- if the vane isn't working, but the "cups" are, will I still get a readout on my gauge?

Third issue is engine work. My boat was 'neglected' for two years before I bought it (hence some of the issues above). The engine doesn't appear to have been winterized before when it was hauled out. I'm having a yard do some work on it. They should be done next weekend and I'd like to take it to it's new home. I have the manual and will be doing all of the appropriate maintenance as soon as possible - but what do I HAVE TO do before taking the short trip from the boat yard to the marina? I haven't talked with the previous owner at all, so I really have no idea what was done when it was hauled out (bought it through a broker).

Last issue for tonight - the table post is stuck at the base. I tried pretty hard but couldn't get it out. Any tricks anyone can share for getting it loose?

By the way, I spent this long weekend working on the boat. I'm happy to be a new owner and appreciate the answers I anticipate. I'll be sailing out of Deltaville (didn't notice too many mid-atlantic postings). Thank you.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Another 35-3, eh?

Congrats on your new boat - 35-3's are loads of fun.

For what's its worth - here's my bit:

The Horizon Standards were the basic units that came with the boat (most of us either have them or had them). If your paddle wheel is fried, you might be able to replace it with a current version (another brand, though) that will fit into the hole (access beneath the step to your vee berth). If it's just loaded up with crud, and you've hauled out, try removing it and see if you cannot clean it up. If not, buy a new one (contact one of the current manufacturers and give them the existing model number - they can offer a replacement).

Don't know about the wind/speed indicator - I don't have one (only the simple Windex). Post an image of it...

On the engine - check the fluids (oil, transmission, coolant) and make sure that all the levels are ok. As soon as you can, change all of them (and the filters). You really should run the engine before you change the oil (to heat it up) - but 'when in doubt, take it out'. During our winters here (which are mild compared to yours), I just change the fluids, increase the antifreeze and put a heater on the boat. Given that, I would suggest you start a thread on winterizing boats - get the opinion of all the NE owners - who will be happy to give you their opinions! :p For example, take a look at this thread.

** Also check your valves for clearance. If they've not been adjusted in a long time, you could be potentially risking damaging your engine. if you're new to diesels, find the local Universal Dealer there to send someone over to look at it and do it (costs about $75). Also, make friends with Torrenson Marine ; they're an excellent resource.

If this is your first boat, I strongly recommend you're looking into the Casey Series of sailboat repair. They're nice, easy high overviews that give lots of info - and won't overload you. Save the big books for when you need more specifics. You can do 99% of the work yourself - changing fluids/filters/impellers/adjusting valves, etc is all stuff you can (and should) do yourself (the yards will charge you a fortune to do it).

On the dinette? Un screw it, and pull it out. Figure out why it's stuck, fix it and return it to its place.

Just dive in and enjoy working on the boat - it's lots of fun (quiet, creative work), although somewhat expensive at times.

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.standardhorizon.com/

Here is the URL for Standard Horizon. I had their instruments on my last boat. They were good for many years, and your models are likely still in production. I would check with them for parts, copies of manuals, and location of nearest dealers.

This list has several skilled do-it-yourselfers with your exact model Ericson. Check back often for information, and be sure to check the archives, both here and over at Sailnet.com.
Keep the questions coming, and also remember to post your results/adventures/etc. to help others.

Everyone, no matter how new to the game, knows something that the rest of us do not yet know.

Welcome to the group!

:)

Loren
Olson 34 in Portland, OR

PkandLisa

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Attached is the image of the wind vane.

Attachments

• dsc00376.jpg
    dsc00376.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 197

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
That's a broken Windvane

I don't own one, but have seen them often enough to know it on site - your anemometer is missing one arm (it should have three). You might be able to get that piece replaced (just the bottom piece) - contact Standard (who I thought was out of business.... :confused: ) and ask - I'm sure they can help you.

//sse

Ray Rhode

Member III
Parker,

Sorry to get into this so late but since I changed my e-mail address I don't get all of the notifications. As Sean said the anemometer is missing a cup, here should be three. If you model is the same as mine the entire unit can be replaced and no rewiring will be necessary. If the Standard Horizon URL dosen't work try www.yaesu.com.

By now you probably have cleaned up the impeller. If not you can remove the entire transducer from inside the boat and then push the pivot pin out. Then just scrape the impeller and housing clean and reinsert the impelller and pin. Be sure to note the directiion of the impeller in relation to the mount so you don't get it backwards.

As for the table you could soak the joint with some WD-40 or Blaster and then use a strap wrench similar to the kind you use to remove oil and fuel filters.

Welcome to the wonderful world of E35 ownership.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Jounney
E35-III, #189

PkandLisa

Just an update on those helpful hints.

On the anemometer - I was able to get the direction indicator apart, clean it out, and it's now freely rotating - thank you for the tip. I now have to superglue a piece back on (oops) and it should work well. Standard Horizon Technical Support gave me some pointers, but yours worked better. Now I just need to replace the cup or jury rig an alternative.

Soaking the speed impeller in formula 409 (Std Horizon suggestion) didn't do the trick, so I'm on to disassembling.

On the table post - used one of those rubber (grab anything round) wrenches - actually two of them - until one broke...still working on that one.

And I've started on the engine work - replaced the impeller yesterday.

Again, just wanted to give an update and a thanks for all the help.